HONDA files patents for brand new, fuel injected two-stroke engine

I don’t think there is any need to apologize Honda. Its a matter of local materials, customs, requirements, and of course budget.

JT, just the opposite for me. The builder used plywood on the sides but OSB on the roof. Thats why one side is smooth and the other is given a traction surface, for the roof. Its been 20+ years and no problem. The roofers a couple years ago didn’t need to replace any of it. The number of nails used though makes a big difference as well as whether they glue and nail it.

I need to correct my statement that particle board isn’t used anywhere. It is used for flooring over the sub floor in some cases depending on what kind of material to be used for the floor. And of course shelving. Of course now they like to use one layer of plywood T&G for the floors. And really that is fine except for areas with ceramic tile. At any rate, only used where there’s no chance of it getting wet.

OSB is marginal on the roof, but particleboard is trouble. All roofs are fine until they start to leak. That is when the plywood is more effective than OSB and especially particleboard.

Fashion trends rule the home and automobile markets and common sense be darned. But that Honda 2 stroke is puzzling. If roller bearings are used everywhere on the crank it would seem that splash lubrication would be all that is needed but that would result in a significant amount of lubricant being lost to the combustion chamber so are the bearings sealed? Surely there is something being left out in the drawings. Is there a parts description for the numbered components that I have overlooked? Water jackets indicate it is liquid cooled but I seem to have overlooked the thermostat and water pump. Maybe Paul Harvey will give us 'The Rest of the Story."

@jtsanders @B.L.E, I wonder what a 10,000 HP 2-stroke would sound like?

I dunno, maybe listen closely the next time a train being pulled by six locomotives goes by. Even though people think two-strokes are noisy, they really can’t match the intensity of noise produced by a supercharged four stroke engine. That’s mostly because you can actually supercharge a four stroke engine. Because the transfer and exhaust ports are open at the same time, it’s difficult to charge a two stroke cylinder higher than atmospheric pressure.
For those of you who have never experienced the sheer intensity of the noise a top fuel dragster can generate, YOU HAVE NO IDEA just how loud they are.

Many trains are powered by 2 stroke diesels. GM has been building them since the 1930s. Some had opposing pistons with no cylinder heads.

Opposed piston two strokes can use straight line or uniflow scavanging. One piston uncovers intake ports and the other uncovers exhaust ports.
Puch (Allstate) had an interesting folded opposed piston two stroke used in their 250cc motorcycle. Two tandem cylinders that were joined at the head. The intake charge entered the rear cylinder and the exhaust exited the exhaust ports on the front cylinder.

I actually rode one of those for a short distance. Not spectacularly powerful but it was said they got excellent fuel economy for a 250 cc two stroke.

BLE mentioned how noisy a 4 stroke can be…I would have to agree. If y’all have heard an Unmuffled Supercharged 4 Stroke at full song (Think Dragsters). That Thunderous Noise rips through your body…its like you can hear it in your blood and bones and not even use your ears…

It can be a very violent experience…in fact I think it kinda feels like Heart Palpitations…

I wonder if you can be killed by sound? Methinks you can indeed…

Blackbird

I’ve watched the top fuel cars run at the dragstrip and you can actually feel the noise. There might be louder things around, those 16 inch guns on battleships, space rocket launches…

The most iconic 2 Stroke vehicle that I can recall is the Vespa but I can’t find a link to a video with a Vespa simply running down the road. And while Sears sold the Vespa with a Cruisaire badge they also sold several European mini cycles and the 250 twingle @B.L.E. mentioned.

Funny…I just recently read an article in Hemmings about how you could order an Italian Motorcycle right out of the Sears Catalogue. They gave these Benellis and Puchs funny names like the Allstate or other weird American Sounding names. But they were bikes right out of Italy and even Austria. I remember a few of them actually…not around much anymore but…I know them when I see them.

Blackbird

Actually I ordered my Moped from Montgomery Wards back in about 1964. Made in Italy. Yeah it was 2 stroke and actually pretty quiet. When I took it out in the country though, I’d pull the insert out of the muffler to hear it roar. It actually sounded like a motor cycle then. The think left me stranded more times than I can remember because the plug would foul and ground out. Then it was walk it home and about a 2 hour dis-assembly to get to the plug and clear it out. Maybe I just didn’t get the mix right. Should have been easier to get to the plug though. Yeah those Vespas are pretty quiet. Very popular in Italy for basic transportation but still buzz.

Leave it to Harley Davidson to build a noisy scooter

On their golf cart the engine wasn’t nearly so loud.

And that Topper had a CVT transmission

Heh heh. Reminds me “Look Ma, no hands”. I didn’t see any oil leaks though so must be a 2 stroke. Yeah my Moped had a CVT too and does my lawn mower. Beats the heck out of the hydro-failure prone ones.

Thanks for telling me about the diesel locomotive 2-strokes, @“B.L.E”. Today is a good day, I learned something.

Rocket launches are a lot louder than a top fuel dragster, but you can’t get close to them. I was in Florida for work when John Glenn went for his second Space Shuttle ride. We stood on A1A across the Indian River from the Shuttle pad; about two miles away. It was still quite loud and I felt the wind buffeting me after about 30 seconds or so. My cousin’s husband took me to an oval dirt track race near Kannapolis, NC when I was quite young. Those cars were loud, but I imagine dragsters and funny cars are a lot louder.

I was in Florida for work when John Glenn went for his second Space Shuttle ride.

I think you mean his second time to orbit and first (and only) Space Shuttle ride.

Correct. Mercury and Space Shuttle.

Bing Actually I ordered my Moped from Montgomery Wards back in about 1964. Made in Italy. Yeah it was 2 stroke and actually pretty quiet. When I took it out in the country though, I'd pull the insert out of the muffler to hear it roar. It actually sounded like a motor cycle then. The think left me stranded more times than I can remember because the plug would foul and ground out. Then it was walk it home and about a 2 hour dis-assembly to get to the plug and clear it out. Maybe I just didn't get the mix right. Should have been easier to get to the plug though. Yeah those Vespas are pretty quiet. Very popular in Italy for basic transportation but still buzz.

I was kind of a two stroke fan boy in my late teens and I remember plug fouling very well. One fouled plug trick I learned was to pull up the spark plug boot a little to create a small spark gap between the plug wire and the spark plug. Making the electricity jump this spark gap before reaching the plug would often make the fouled plug fire. I guess doing this allows the voltage to get up a full head of steam before hitting the spark plug and the leakage across the fouled insulator doesn’t have a chance to dissipate the energy.
I kind of discovered this by accident while pulling up spark plug boots to see which cylinder wasn’t running on a two cylinder motorcycle. As I started to pull the plug wire boot up, it would suddenly run on both cylinders.
A few high speed miles on the highway to burn the carbon off the plug and I could put the spark plug boot back down.
A rich fuel air mixture fouls spark plugs a lot more than a rich oil to fuel mix does. In fact, after the oil injection pump failed, leading to a seized engine, I just went to premixed fuel, 20:1, and the leaning of the fuel air mixture due to a percentage of the fuel being oil pretty much cured the plug fouling and the engine ran much cleaner too, without the high rpm “four stroking” that’s characteristic of two stroke engines that are jetted too rich, even though it smoked a lot more.

I was 15 and learning, and didn’t have it that long but figured that’s why they had pedals on them. To pedal it home when it didn’t start. A little embarrassing though and not easy to pedal. Fun while I had it though.

Another thing about two-stroke engines is when you flooded one, it could be hell to get started. Most people compounded the problem by choking the carburetor even more. The only cure was to shut off the fuel and then crank and crank with the throttle wide open until it finally would run very weakly, you just keep that throttle open until the crankcase finally cleans out and it revs. Then you can open the fuel valve and continue riding.