HONDA files patents for brand new, fuel injected two-stroke engine

The 2 strokes don’t seem to be too noisy in India

the rickshaws have 2 stroke engines and you can hear the voices of people in the midst of all the traffic.

Concrete also generated a large amount of CO2 when it is made.

Wikipedia: The concrete industry is one of two largest producers of carbon dioxide (CO2), creating up to 5% of worldwide man-made emissions of this gas, of which 50% is from the chemical process and 40% from burning fuel.

Car people and the general public tend to think of cars when we hear Honda, but Honda does a huge business in products not designed for road use, including industrial engines and equipment, homeowner equipment, and even marine use. Couple that with the fact that all major manufacturers file countless patents every year for products they never intend to manufacture just to protect an idea they might have from being discovered and developed by a competitor, and IMHO there’s an excellent probability that this design may not end up in production… and a far higher probability that if it does it won’t be for cars.

For automotive use, Honda is, along with everyone else, aggressively pursuing hybrid technology and other alternative fuels such as hydrogen. Honda sold a hybrid many years ago, about the same time as Toyota’s original Prius, that I actually liked better than the Prius, but they abandoned it while Toyota supported the Prius. Toyota ended up with almost the entire hybrid market. There’s a guy in NH that still commutes in his old Honda hybrid. Before I retired I used to see him on the highway regularly.

mountainbike

“Honda sold a hybrid many years ago, about the same time as Toyota’s original Prius, that I actually liked better than the Prius, but they abandoned it”

Are you talking about the original Honda Insight . . . ?

Yup. I try not to use the model name, because everyone thinks I’m referring to the current Insight and gets confused.

@Rod Knox The 2 strokes don't seem to be too noisy in India

Amazing what leaving the muffler on can do.
Also, a lot of the noise two stroke engines make is actually coming from the intake, especially the piston port intake design used on a lot of motorcycle engines.

Hmmm Noise? Well I have found that Noise is highly subjective. I’ve heard the spoken voice that was nothing but noise…Politicians speaking come to mind. Service Writers…Pseudo Mechanics, Salesman…the list goes on…

Most engines I listen to actually…far more intently than most people or what they have to say…but thats just me. Engines make music as far as I’m concerned.

Wood houses? More like Particle Board…Good luck with those 40+ yrs out… I will remain in my Brick Domicile thank you very much. I’d prefer Stone…but…

CLINTON 2 STROKES?? I have an old Clinton 2 Stroke on a mower from the 50’s…still runs great too. Also have an old Maytag 2 cylinder 2 Stroker…used to power washing machines or whatever you rig it up to actually… Both are quiet and reliable as can be

Whatever the future holds…who knows if the 2 stroke will be part of it. The way things are headed the IC engine may see its demise in my lifetime…I dont see how that could be possible or desireable…but…electricity is here to stay and will only grow.

Who knows…I just thought the article was interesting and food for discussion.

Blackbird

That article led me to one about the Duke engine. No valves, sort of a rotary engine. It seems too good to be true, wonder what the negatives are? Perhaps pollution…

I have been curious for many years as to why no one has considered building a direct injection 2 stroke using a blower instead of crankcase pressure. While the diesels using that strategy apparently failed due to emissions a gasoline 2 stroke using a catalytic converter should be squeaky clean while being lighter, more powerful and more efficient.

And Honda’s articulated crankshaft throw is really puzzling to me. Is that simpler than a variable camshaft? With multiple cylinders it would seem to be a Rube Goldberg monstrosity.

Houses are generally made from whatever materials are indigenous to the area. In the northeast, they’re wood, and they last for centuries if maintained. In the southwest, they’re terra-cotta, concrete-based materials, or stone, and they last for centuries if maintained.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. In both cases there are gorgeous mansions and basic houses. There’s no reason to insult people’s houses. This is a car forum.

Insulting peoples houses? I dont get it…

"Wood houses? More like Particle Board…Good luck with those 40+ yrs out"
You should. You wrote it. If you really didn’t “get it” you wouldn’t have responded.
Now let’s get back to discussing cars.

Around here the new homes are mostly OSB(oriented strand board). And while it will quickly return to a state of loose sawdust when wet it can be relatively strong when dry. But like cars the public buys homes on image and trending fashions. I recall hurricane Andrew hitting Florida and destroying upscale brick veneered multi-storied homes while ranch style Habitat for Humanity built homes only lost a few shingles. The engineers explained that the Habitat homes had roofs decked with hand nailed lumber while the mansions were decked with OSB held down with staples. And can we guess that the Florida building codes still allow the stapled OSB.

Wood houses? More like Particle Board...Good luck with those 40+ yrs out...

I can show you THOUSANDS of homes here in the North East that are 40+ years old made with Particle board.

As long as Particle board stays dry…it’s fine.

Including mine, built in 1940.
And now, back to cars. While I feel confident that the engine in question isn’t intended for cars, I do find watching the new technology being developed interesting. I guess that’s part of the reason I’m such Tesla fan. Wish I could afford one.

Ah yes, Maytag engines. We used to fool around with those. Smoked a lot and not much rpm but a lot of torque. Seemed like everyone had one in their garage. The neighbor kid powered his 58 Plymouth replica car with one.

Agree with Mike. Nothing wrong with chip board (particle board is never used) as long as it stays dry. In fact it can be better than plywood because it does not have a directional grain. Most codes now call for full head nails and not staples for construction and give me a nailer any day and it’ll out perform hand nailing. I volunteered with Habitat and the quality of hand nailing had quite a range. Ye also have to remember that there is very little lateral strength to block, brick, stone, and pretty easy to tip a whole wall down if there is no weight on it. OTOH termites don’t like stone if that’s a problem in your locale.

What was the question? Cars? OK to change the subject, against my better judgement, I just mailed an oil sample in for an analysis. I thought it would be fun to see what they had to say on my Pontiac with 100K now. Still it costs $28 plus another $3 to mail it, so I really don’t see it as very cost effective. I’m not trying to extend oil changes either, just thought it would be interesting to see what they find. Probably nothing. Car runs like a top, uses no oil, and after 3000 miles, the oil still looks relatively clean.

Enlighten me if I am blind. The sagittal plane diagram shows the injector in the side of the crankcase, injecting up one of the transfer ports. The event timing chart indicates that the injection occurs after the exhaust port is covered; the exhaust valve is closed; and the transfer ports are covered by the piston. So the injector is adding fuel to the scavanging air for the next cycle. It doesn’t appear that the exhaust valve timing closes before the scavanging charge is delivered.

Until I viewed the event timing, I assumed that the injection occurred late in the scavanging cycle with the exhaust valve closed; the transfer port still uncovered; and the injector spritzing into the combustion charge.

Also the crankcase is being used for scavanging with the throttled intake and reed valve oneway closure. The big question is “How are the moving parts being lubricated?” Oil must still be injected with the scananging air ergo that will exit through the exhaust eventually. At least with the Detruit Diesel 671 etal the crankcase was wet and the scavanging air came through fenestrations in the cylinder wall as the piston reached BDC. Exhaust exited through the 4 valves in the cylinder head and fuel was directly injected at TDC through the unit injector in the cneter of the head

I will refrain on my opinions on building materials and Whole Heartedly apologize to those people and their homes which I have insulted here.

The big question is "How are the moving parts being lubricated?"

I’d say the lubricant comes in with the injected fuel which first goes under the piston to the cylinder walls and the small end of the con rod.

@“B.L.E”, I wonder what a 10,000 HP 2-stroke would sound like?

My builder used OSB for side walls, but refused to use it on the roof. He always used 3/4" plywood, saying that the safety of people walking on the roof 20 years later was worth the extra cost of the plywood.