Honda Element V-Tech Solenoid P2647

My gasket on the solenoid was leaking. Took it to a local mechanic and he replaced the unit with a new gasket. About a mile from home it would not accelerate and started bucking. When I slowed down and kept the RPMs under 3000 it ran fine. Check engine light cam on also. Took it back to the mechanic and he plugged it into the code reading machine. The P2647 (V-Tech Solenoid) came up. That was the part he replaced. He put several more on and it did not help. Same problem same code. I was going to take it the Honda dealer and then the light went out and it ran fine for 8 months. Now it’s coming on and off with the same code. Seems to be running great and has no problem accelerating. On the Honda Element Owners Club Forum I see lots have had the same problem. Anyone here have a solution? Thanks.

Are you using the exact type/grade/viscosity of motor oil that Honda specifies?
Have you been changing the oil at least as often as Honda specifies, including elapsed time, as well as odometer mileage?

I asked those questions because a lot of the problems that people experience with variable valve timing is the result of the wrong motor oil and/or engine sludging that has built-up as a result of extended oil change intervals.

1 Like

Yes I am. I change it every 4000 miles and use the 5-20 synthetic just like it says. I bought this used and it had 85,000 miles on it. Now it has 150,000. I’ve always changed it more often and called for. Others in the Element Forum have mentioned this also. I know where you’re coming from. Screens get clogged. Mine are fine. I’ve checked. Thanks for the reply.

I’ve also done this.
Tech Notes What does this mean? The most common problem that can set the P2652 code is the engine oil. Before replacing any parts change the engine oil with the factory recommend oil weight. There is a Factory Service Bulletin for the following Honda Models 2003-2012 Honda Accord L4 2002-2005 Honda Civic Si 2002-2009 Honda CR-V 2011 Honda CR-Z 2003-2011 Honda Element 2007-2011 Honda Fit The factory bulletin suggests that replacing the VTEC oil pressure switch (P/N 37250-PNE-G01, H/C 6737217) take care of the problem.

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p2647_honda.html

Fault P2647 is for the rocker arm oil pressure switch, not the solenoid, it is a different part.

It all goes back to the V-Tech Solenoid. They replaced the whole thing. Read this post.

Easy Fix for P2647 Error Code – Bucking and Jerking Honda Accord – Practical Mechanic

Same problem with my daughters CR-V. I had my son in law change the solenoid. Still didn’t fix it. They changed the oil religiously but didn’t know about the previous owner so I told them to get an engine oil flush and switch to synthetic and they haven’t had a problem since.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ve heard of the motor flush but kind of made me nervous. My check engine light is off and has been for 3 days. It kind of comes and goes but the Element is running fine.

In this case I would still recommend the flush. If you do it yourself, do not stray from the instructions and you should be good to go.

1 Like