Honda Element Dilemma

Hi all! To make a long story short, I have a 2004 Honda Element that has a flooded engine and was told it would need to be replaced if I wanted to continue to drive it. My boyfriend and I loved this car, but we are moving to an area which allows us to be a one car family, so we are looking to get rid of the Element. My questions are, what would the value of this car be sans engine? How should we go about selling it to get the best bang for our buck?

This car is not worth more than getting the engine so you either get a price from a junkyard or put it on Craigslist for parts.

Define “Flooded” as in was under water ?
Went through a big puddle and the engine sucked in a bunch of water?
Flooded by to much gas when trying to start ?

1 Like

Phone up you local NPR station and see what kind of deal they offer. Even if no cash changes hands, you might be better off, considering the income tax deduction value. Some of these donation programs requires the car be drivable, so that might be an issue in your case. If so, look in the yellow pages or on the internet for auto salvage yards, pick n pull, etc, they’ll give you a quote. Your best bet $$-wise is to sell the parts individually on craigslist, ebay etc, but that’s a lot of time and effort.

Car Talk’s program takes any car running or not.

How it works

It’s simple and free. We convert your old car into cash, which becomes a welcome donation to the station of your choice, and you get a tax deduction. We take vehicles in any condition, running or not, and you avoid the cost and hassle of repairing or selling a car you no longer want.

https://www.cartalk.com/vehicledonation/

1 Like