Honda/Acura Check Oil Level Warning on Dash

Well just my take but change the oil, don’t check it. Others will disagree but I change at between 40-50% and I have happy engines with little oil usage. I would never let it get to 20%. If that little black spot on the bottom of the dipstick is the oil level, it needs to be changed.

I have had similar problems determining trans fluid and now have no dipsticks. I let the shop just check it instead but never needs more unless there is a leak. But the I have the trans fluid changed every 30k. I hate to see equipment abused.

Light = BAD 1/2 quart low is OK. 1 quart low is BAD. Very, very simple.

3 Likes

I don’t know what’s so odd about this, given that you’re supposed to never let the oil level get that low.

1 Like

I find it odd that you let it get so low that the idiot light comes on.

Hey idiot, you’re low on oil.

1 Like

Considering the source of the post I don’t find it odd at all that the idiot light comes on. After all if the shoe fits……….

2 Likes

The total oil capacity of that engine is only 4 qts. In addition to lubricating the internal parts of the engine, the oil serves to help cool the engine, and to carry away contaminants. In other words, it is the lifeblood of the engine.

Why would you be surprised that the vehicle manufacturer considers it vital for you to add oil when the engine has lost more than 25% of its oil?

:confused:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply guys. I’m going to switch over to a 5,000 mile change interval, instead of the maintenance reminder indication (which seems to be about 8,000 miles). In addition to checking the level more regularly, while it is cold.

The oil pressure switch is likely working properly.

1 Like