Honda Accord Transmission

I have a 2003 Honda Accors V6 Coupe, automatic. The car sometimes searches for the gears when moving from second to third. I have taken it to the dealer and they cannot duplicate the issue. I am worried to drive the car for long drives and I am very dependant on my car.

I don’t have an answer, but you can try http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/General_Tech_Help/forumid_5/tt.htm, the Honda Accord Forum if you don’t get help here.

Your Accord has a different transmission than those troublesome 98-02 Accords, so the prior plague they suffered may not be applicable.

Of interest, though, may be the Civic transmission, which at least from 01-03 was suffering from failures of its second gear clutch. I’m no tranny expert, but that may lead to symptoms like you’ve seen. Of course, the Accord and Civic don’t use the same transmission, but sometimes these sorts of problems hit an entire vehicle lineup at once.

If its still under warranty, take it back and keep complaining, and make sure they document it fully…

Under what conditions does the transmission start hunting ??? Warm, Cold, on hills, accelerating??? Does the problem go away if you cycle the ignition switch?? Is your D4 light flashing?? You might be having a driveability problem and not a transmission problem. If you can be absolutely specific it would help.

transman

What feels like is happening is that when going from second to third, the car feels like it slips into neutral. The engine starts to rev really high - - 5000-6000 rpms, and then after a 10 seconds or so, it catches into the proper gear. There is no specific time when it occurs, cold, warm, hills,etc. It’s pretty random. The D4 light does not flash. Yesterday it was not doing it, but today it did it the entire drive to work. I took it to my dealer and they had it for 3 days and could not get the problem to happen again.

I was having the same problem with my 2002 Accord V6 coupe and was almost in an accident when the car wouldn’t shift gears. When I took it to the dealer they diagnosed it as a transmission failure which shocked me since I only have 70,000 miles on the car and have kept up all of it’s maintenance. Honda is refusing to offer any assistance despite the known history of transmission problems in this generation of accords. My advice is to be persistent with your dealer, I’ve heard from some others that their dealer wasn’t ever able to find a problem until their car was conveniently out of warranty. If you can tell there’s a problem, there is a definite problem. Get a second opinion.

My advice is to be persistent with your dealer, I’ve heard from some others that their dealer wasn’t ever able to find a problem until their car was conveniently out of warranty.

If you bring your car to the dealer before warranty is up but they don’t find the problem until AFTER the warranty …they still MUST fix the problem (it’s the law actually).