Honda accord hybrid -- does anyone have any battery information

Honda is no longer making the Accord Hybrid. This car requires a new battery every 100,000 miles or so. At the time I bought the Accord Hybrid, the batteries were about $5,000 to replace. I was assured that as demand for the Accord Hybrid increased, the price of the battery would fall. This has not happened and I have not been able to find any information on the Accord battery… Now that the Accord hybrid is no longer being made, I am concerned that the batteries are going to become more expensive. I was hoping that the Accord and Civic Hybrid use the same batteries, but have not been able to find any information on this. Does anyone know if the Accord and the Civic use the same battery? If not, what are the suggestions for replacing the Accord battery?

This car requires a new battery every 100,000 miles or so.

Says who? I’ve never heard of a hybrid that has the battery replacement as part of the replacement interval. A lot of people have speculated on how long a hybrid battery pack would last, with 100,000 miles being at the absolute low end. Real world experiance, at least with the Priuses, has shown that the batteries have no particular lifespan measured in miles and even taxicab Priuses that have racked up many hundreds of thousands of miles still for the most part have their original batteries. Not that this can necessarilly be extrapolated to mean that there’s not some age interval that will warrant replacement, but if so it would be longer than hybrids have been avaliable.

As for avaliability, I doubt Honda is going to stop carrying the batteries anytime soon. I suppose as your generation of Accord hybrid gets older, it may become a rare and more expensive part, but I think it’s equally likely that manufacturing of hybrid battery packs in general will get better and cheaper, lowering the price.

I think that Honda will support you. Don’t worry about it until you need the battery. Think in terms of as early as 100,000 miles.

BTW, Oldsmobile has been out of business for at least 2 years now, and no one is complaining about the lack of parts.

Well…first off the battery prices HAVE come down…Unless the Accord uses a battery the other hybrids don’t. I’ve seen them as low as $900.

Second…who says they need to be replaced every 100k miles. Neighbor owns a Civic hybrid and has OVER 150k miles…origional battery.