Honda 2015 Honda Crosstour

My daughter likes Hondas

It seems like Honda wants a lot of scheduled maintenance.
It has 130,000 miles on it, and she still goes to dealer for maintenance

They have been telling her to replace the water pump.

It does not leak… It does not make noise. It has a timing chain and no belt

Any thoughts if the water pump should be replaced???

Thank you

Thank you

Like I said not under warranty

But seems like Honda wants a lot of work done

So then do it.

1 Like

With a 130k miles I would change the water pump. I would also have them change the timing chain and guides. guides tend to wear and make the chain loose, which can then skip a tooth. and a timing chain can stretch a little. you can pay a little now, or you can pay a lot latter.

1 Like

I’d find an independent shop and have them take a look. If no problems apparent, I wouldn’t do it, or change the timing chain. I’m more concerned with fluids - has the transmission fluid been changed, with Honda fluid? Have the brake fluid and coolant been changed?

1 Like

It’s a waste of money to pay someone to replace components that aren’t displaying a problem.

And if that’s the dealers mindset, ask them if you should also replace the power steering pump, alternator, starter, fuel pump, AC compressor, brake master cylinder, catalytic converter, etc…?

These components also have 130k miles on them.

Tester

2 Likes

Yes on regular basis

If daughter drives the vehicle long distances in remote rural areas, pro-active water pump replacement at 130K probably makes sense. If driven mostly short trips around town, water pumps that are on the path to failure usually show small leaks for some time, weeks, even months, before failing completely. She’d notice a small puddle of coolant on the garage floor in the morning. If daughter is doing a lot of rural driving, might also make sense to consider buying a new car. When my gf’s Corolla hit the 10 year mark I suggested she start looking, and at the 12 year mark she bought a new Corolla. Worked out well for her.

1 Like

Thank you
Mainly short. But some say 300 milers sometimes

Plus Texas heat!!!

Let me think about it