Hold Light

The Hold light for the transmission is flashing. It stays in 2nd gear even starting from a complete stop. Any ideas? '92 MPV, V6 2WD

I assume by no responses you may have to clarify the question, as hold light is not in my day to day vernacular, as possibly others. If I could propose to understand you are starting in second gear and it stays in second gear no matter how fast you go?

I’m sorry, but there is no easy answer for this one. It needs to go to a shop.

I agree (as usual) with both Dagosa and Mountainbike.

I do not know what a “Hold Light” is.

And–once you have verified that the transmission fluid is at a normal level and is both a normal red color and is not reeking of a “burnt” odor–this vehicle needs to go to a well-reputed independent transmission shop.

DO NOT take the vehicle to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or any other chain operation unless you want to be subjected to bad diagnosis, poor workmanship, and gross overcharging.

Seek an independent transmission shop that has been in business for at least 3 years. You will get better expertise, a more honest assessment, and likely lower repair costs, as compared to the chain operations that I caution against.

Please post back with the results of the assessment from your nearest indy transmission shop, and our resident transmission expert–Transman–should be able to provide further guidance.

These Mazdas had a feature that you could hold a higher gear if you wanted to start off in slippery conditions. When the hold is engaged a light comes on in the instrument cluster. Mine is flashing and according to the Operator’s Manual this means an electronic problem. Does anyone have any experience with this?

What is true for all cars–Mazda included–is that a problem with the electronic controls for the automatic transmission can be relatively inexpensive to fix. (Please note use of the word, “can”, rather than the word, “will”)

What is also true for all makes of cars is that if an electronic problem in this area is not attended to promptly, it WILL morph into much more expensive mechanical problems. Take the vehicle to an independent transmission shop a.s.a.p. before the repair bill really mounts up.