Hitch Bike Racks

I have a factory Honda Class 1 hitch with a 1.25 receiver. I wanted to buy a bike rack that holds 4 bikes, but recently found out that class 1 hitches have a tongue weight restriction that limits the type of rack. Honda rates this hitch at a tongue weight of 150 pounds and a tow capacity of 1500 pounds. Does anyone know of a bike rack that holds 3 or 4 bikes for a class 1 hitch?

How much do all four bikes weigh?

You need to go to a bicycle shop for assistance with this. If they don’t have one that holds four bikes, you could put two bicycles on the hitch rack and two on a roof rack.

all 4 bike will weigh close to 140 pounds is my guess

I wouldn’t guess. Take a bathroom scale out to the garage. Weigh yourself. Then weigh yourself holding each bike and subtract your weight.

If you confirm that they really all weigh less than 150 lbs., it is time to make a trip to a local bike shop. If they don’t have a hitch rack that can hold all four, they probably have some catalogs you can look through. However, make sure the weight of the rack doesn’t put you over 150 lbs. when added to the weight of the bikes.

If they all really weigh 140 lbs. together, I seriously doubt you will be able to find a rack that weighs less than 10 lbs., and you will have to find another option, like putting two on the roof.

Don’t estimate or guess about the weight. Weigh the bikes and the hitch rack to make sure they all fall under that 150 lb. limit. If they don’t, you will need to find another option.

thanks