Historical engine power

I don’t think I’ve ever floored my current car ('98 Saturn SL2) or its predecessor ('88 Acura Integra). They certainly weren’t overpowered, and had enough acceleration to handle any reasonable situation. The car before that ('81 Subaru DL) was another story. Even floored, it accelerated so slowly that passing anything was a white-knuckle adventure. Not to mention the guy under the hood shaking a can of marbles under any heavy throttle…

We live in Las Vegas, so we must do Highway driving to get out of town. Passing on the steep grades will get the pedal down. I have a 3.0 V-6 Ranger and it has plenty of power, but Baker grade is 16 miles of fast cars and slow trucks.

Baker grade brings back memories. I remember the first time we made it to the top without overheating. Few people ever did that back then. Cooling systems and coolants have come a long way since then.

A highway flows like a stream. A 3500 pound car with 70 HP trying to merge onto a highway is like a large rock in the stream, it creates turbulance. Turbulance creates chaos, and on a busy highway during rush hour that can be a source of accidents.

I contend that 70 HP in a car that size is insufficient on today’s highways.

Then you shouldn’t drive one on the highway.

Craig58,

A Volvo 240D weighs 2900 pounds and makes 123 horsepower. That’s why it does so well in traffic.

I’m talking about a benz 240D (1983) with a 2.4 L non-turbo 4 cyl diesel engine (3250 pounds with 67 HP in U.S. trim).

Ahh I see, my mistake. That’s a very torquey diesel motor though, which certainly helps to get you going.

Actually, it has decent performance up to about 50-60 mph (low gears and good torque). Remember these were sold in the U.S. during the 55 mph speed limit fiasco. I actually don’t use it on the highway very much because I don’t like having to run at 4000 rpm to keep up with current traffic (but it can do it).

Why? I have no problem merging into the flow. I don’t have to make others wait.

I don’t think we’re going to get anywhere here. So let me just say that although we may not agree on this issue I respect your posts and opinions in general. You seem a decent sort, and I really don’t mind slowing while you and yours merge. Courtesy also helps prevent accidents.

Happy motoring.

No problem, I try not to get in anyones way. Driving a low power car on current highways does require a creative use of momentum.

I use it whenever I am on the track, almost twice a month. I have consumed my full 14 Gal capacity in 2 hours recently. I will tell you it was a blast. Full throttle is however too aggressive for daily driving.
Sometimes, I need about 1/2 or 3/4 of the full throttle during freeway merging.
However that is not from my desire to do so, but due to idiots on the freeway who dont understand the merging traffic ahead signs.
I would say that the figure to look for is not the top end HP, but the Torque at the “sweet spot” 1800 - 2100 RPM.
If you have high torque you can shift early and almost never have to command the Rated HP unless you are trying to set the speed record, in which case you will have other problems (local law enforcement). That saves gas. I get about 25MPG (freeway), but my buddy gets close to 30 in his Corvette with a much bigger engine.

Useable torque at lower RPM (and appropriate gearing) is the key. Fascination with, “horsepower,” has always escaped me. Why design an engine capable of outputting 600, “horsepower,” when that output occurs at high RPM and means exactly NOTHING. It has always seemed to me that building engines that need to run at high RPM in order to produce peak power (while burning crap fuel with emission, “control,” measures glommed onto them) is the wrong approach. It would seem to me that, with modern technology, a longer stroke, lower compression ratio engine with computerised ignition, electronic fuel injection, shifting, etc. could be designed that would lessen engine wear, more efficiently use available fuels and still deliver appropriate torque to the driving wheels in nearly all driving situations.