High RPMs while driving on freeway

2000 AWD rav4. Recently, when driving over 70 mph on the freeway, the rav jumps up to over 3000 RPMs. Normally in this range, especially without my foot on the gas, this hovers around 2000 RPMs or so (at least to my memory).

Any thoughts? We take it in for regular maintenance/oil changes - in fact, just had one a week ago.

Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but read it in another thread so thought this worth mentioning too: when entering the freeway, or in any situation where I need to pick up speed quickly, the rav will all of a sudden shift and jump from 2000 RPMs to maybe 3000 or 4000 RPMs. I always figured that the car just had a little trouble accelerating, but other forum members thought otherwise, that it was potentially a transmission issue.

I would be looking for a faulty Idle Air Control valve.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2000,rav4,2.0l+l4,1364699,fuel+&+air,idle+air+control+(iac)+valve,6072

These valves cannot only fail where it causes the engine to stall when stopped, but they can also fail where it allows too much air into the intake, and the engine speed is high while driving.

Tester

1 Like