High prices at local parts stores

We have a couple of local chain auto parts stores. They carry QUALITY auto parts at reasonable prices. And they have a well trained staff. Some have been working there for decades.

Iā€™m happy for you, although I suspect there are some lesser lucky folks around.
NAPA is 40 minutes drive for me, unlike 4 minutes for Advance.
Local folks in 15 minutes from me are a joke, inventory wise.
I might agree that AutoZone stocks up a lot of junk, at least from what i see in a store next to me, but Advance Auto seem to have better selection.
One way or another, some ā€œbrains applicationā€ is always required when getting any aftermarket parts.

1 Like

I used to avoid a particular parts store because their prices were a little higher than normal. Iā€™d go for there once in awhile because they were closer. I found that all the staff are multiple times more knowledgeable than the rest. This is extremely helpful, and I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever had to return a part for being the wrong part. So I would pay higher prices for good service. Ya donā€™t save much when you have to make 2 or 3 trips to get the right part. Come to find out now their prices generally match or beat the competition. I rarely ask the price on parts anymore cause I know Iā€™m getting good service.

1 Like

In the town next to meā€¦thereā€™s one corner that has an AutoZone, Advanced Auto and PepBoys. Only thing Iā€™ll buy there is wax and cleaning products.

My last venture to buy a part from Advanced Auto was several years ago when I went to buy a front light bulb for my wifeā€™s Lexus. Went to their bulb section and looked up on their chart what bulb to buy. Bring in home and discover this bulb isnā€™t even close. Take bulb back, and the manager basically told me that those lookup charts are useless. Then why do you have them. They didnā€™t have a listing for the bulb. Went to my local parts store on Monday when they opened.

George, the first thing I do when I buy a collector car is replace the points with a Pertronix electronic ignition. All the parts fit under the distributor cap, so a car show judge canā€™t tell Iā€™ve messed with it. They have kits for virtually any engine.

The ā€œblueā€ you referred to is Blue Coral.

Are you sure it isnā€™t Blue Streak? They have been making quality ignition parts for over 70 years.

1 Like

I do buy online and pick up in store but this time I had looked up the parts before I left home, was meting my daughter for coffee and confirmed that she wanted them. I choose not to have a cell phone, laptop or notebook computer and was irritated when they acknowledged the online price when the location closer to me always would. It was name brand wiper blades, I donā€™t care what store I get them at.

Could be, I thought George was referring to the wax

I recall Standard Echlin Blue Streak @oldtimer-11.

I think thatā€™s correct, Blue Streak is the brand for the ignition points I recently purchased.

I always (always) bring the old part to the store when I need a new one. Whether I order it online to pickup or not, bring the old bulb, filter, whatever. And, if itā€™s possible, Iā€™ll install it right there. I hate going back.