High priced?

Until and unless we know the source of those numbers, it’s all speculation. But what I often see happening is a mechanic that bought (that day) an OEM equivalent part and provided a markup on it to account for the labor and overhead (billing etc) to acquire the part.

Then a customer looks up an aftermarket part online (two day delivery at best), makes a comparison to what they were charged and feels it’s outrageous…

2 Likes

I don’t mind a shop marking up the price of a part. Time is involved in ordering a part and often having to go after the part. If the part is in the shop’s inventory, money is tied up in inventory that could be earning interest if invested in CDs or even a savings account.

1 Like

I guess I am just making sure we found the right place to get our car fixed before I get in too deep with this place. I noticed on the estimate he charges 17.00 dollars for tools, that I don’t understand, he charges us to use his tools? The jury is still out for me on this shop because I found a review online that sounded really shady, the person was complaining that the shop did work on a car that was not authorized or need because the work had been done at another shop only months ago and they had proof. This was a valid complaint because the shop replied to the review. I have no problem with some one making profit on a part, I’m sure all shops do that but this review online about doing work that wasn’t needed gets me thinking.

Lets not forget about veterinarians, when my cat was in the hospital years ago one charged me 75 dollars for one antibiotic pill that you can get for free at some pharmacy’s

Nothing is free…there is a cost somewhere. Also the exact formula that is safe for a cat may not be the same as the “free” version at a pharmacy…That $17 for tools may be a general charge on shop supplies and he just lumps it under tools as one category

I guess I’m shooting myself in the foot. I understand that it’s the industry standard to charge list which can often be over 100% profit but why is that how they make up for not making enough in labor? If the labor guide isn’t paying enough for a job, and it doesn’t, charge a labor rate that’s fair and makes you money. I never understood why a shop that doesn’t stock the part, didn’t make the part and didn’t even have to drive to get the part, the stores ALL deliver the parts, should make sometimes more than 100% profit on that part. I charge a fair labor rate, people get parts for what I get them for and I’ve got more work than I can keep up with and make a damn good buck in the process. If someone feels my labor rate is too high they’re welcome to take it somewhere that’ll mess it up or rip them off. I do agree that the neighbor was probably trying to be a know it all. I get people all the time asking for estimates and act like I’m charging too much labor. I point out that I’m not charging list and then inform them that I won’t be working on their car. I love how people watch the vids on youtube, look up labor rates, shop rock auto for parts and then tell me how much it should cost because, “it’s so easy, I watched the video.” I just tell em, “yea, guess you’re right. You really should save all that money and do the repair yourself”. It usually get’s the response, “I could, I just don’t bother with that stuff anymore”. Ok…I do. BYE! I treat my customers very well, never play any mechanic con games, charge them a fair rate that allows me to make a living and they get a quality repair at a decent price.

3 Likes

I’ve been a professional mechanic for decades

You’re talking to the wrong person

Me too. I’m not saying you’re an idiot or a thief or anything. I’m just stating the fact that I do pretty well by keeping a select group of customers that appreciate not getting ripped off and are willing to pay for honesty and quality of workmanship. I’m aware of how the shops work and how industry works. I’m just not willing to work it that way and I’m doing very well doing it the way I’m doing it. I don’t feel the shops deserve that much money for parts they don’t even have to stock or even pick up. That’s just my opinion. You are more than welcome to yours. Maybe I am talking to the wrong person but I’m really not talking to you or necessarily anyone. I’m saying what I do and what works really well for me. My customers love it and are happy to pay for what I provide. Don’t misunderstand, I’ve have to pass on a lot of work where people were bargain shopping. I just let em shop…somewhere else. I suppose it probably seems impossible that I can do very well the way I do it but…well, i guess people can either take my word for it or not. I can only prove it if you want me to fix your car. LOL

I tip my hat to you.
Unfortunately, most shops charge full price for the parts (which they usually get at a discounted price, typically 15-20% in my area) and the full amount of labor that’s standard for the job. I personally would be more than thrilled to pay that and even a bit more just to get a good job properly done without any attempts at screwing me.

I have a private shop that I use when it’s absolutely necessary, and the shop manager, who’s an old cycling buddy from decades ago, knows that. I sit in the waiting room and read (sometimes I watch the mechanic) and if any surprises pop up they show me. Their shop rate is higher than some, but I’m good with that.

I expect competence, honesty, and communication. As John Wayne said in 'The Shootist", “I treat others that way, and I require the same”.

Unfortunately, you are

Because I don’t share your opinions, and I don’t like your tone and the things you’re saying

But we’re all entitled to our own opinions

Clearly, ours are quite different

I don’t have anything against you . . . but we’re not on the same page, either

You picked an apt screen name

LOL That screen name is 25 years old and was created because I was dating a woman with the screen name jade.

I don’t know how to put it more politely, I’m NOT talking to you, or anyone in particular. I understand that you don’t share my opinion. That’s FINE, I don’t even object. I’m sorry if you don’t like my “tone”. Mainly because I’m not taking one. I’m voicing my opinion on a topic. I realize it is counter to the policy in the business. I don’t HAVE to follow that policy if I chose not to. Again, I’m not calling you or anyone a crook or anything. I just feel there’s a better way. If we can’t make enough to make a fair living based on the labor rate, the labor rate is either antiquated or our shop rate is too low for us to make a living. I’m in a situation where I don’t work for someone else so my situation is different than what is common. I’ve worked in many shops and I never got a penny of the money made by charging list on parts. I was fast enough, when I was young, that I still made good money but it didn’t come from the parts. Now that I am self employed, I can, and have every right, to choose not to do it that way, No offense to anyone that does, I just don’t agree with it and I have the right to that opinion. I’m not working for you, if I were you’d have every right to take exception to my opinion. I’m doing fine without charging list. That works for me but it’s a niche situation and may not work for most shops.

Everybody has a tone, including you and I

And it comes across, even through cyberspace

let’s be clear on that, please

otherwise, I have no problem with what you just said :smiley:

Ok, that’s possible, probably even likely. Forgive me if my tone came across as offensive. I didn’t mean to offend. Of course you’re right, I was probably “preaching to the wrong crowd”. Or at least it probably appeared that way. It’s true that there are places where your opinion, especially were it’s clearly not going to be well received LOL, is better off being kept to yourself. I’d like to see us making more money on labor. That seems entirely fair to me. The labor times are, especially at my age now, kinda tough to beat or even meet on my better days. The way I see it, we’re performing a task and that’s what we should be paid for. Some of us are also very gifted salesmen. I fear that’s where a lot of dishonesty comes in. I just don’t want to have to make my money on parts, especially selling parts. But dealing with parts can be a big hassle some of the time. in fact, if I wasn’t pretty confident that the customer would invariably show up with the wrong damned part almost every time, I’d be totally fine with them handling the hassle of it. I’m not big enough to get parts delivered every single time so there are times when it does cost me labor time when I have to chase parts and since I don’t feel right about making money on parts, I just can’t seem make myself charge my labor time when I have to spend an hour getting a part. I just bill them gas money. Most of the time I’ll try to make the customer do the running but often their only car is in the air at the time. Everyone says I’m foolish for not charging list, for not billing them labor time when I spend my time dealing with a part and especially when I pass on my discount on a part to the customer. To a point they’re right, I could certainly be making more per job and probably wouldn’t feel like such a hassle dealing with parts if I were being paid for the time it wastes.

1 Like

We’re good, nothing for you to be sorry about

As you said, we’re all entitled to our opinions

From what you’ve described, you’ve certainly created a niche for yourself. You’re more imaginative than most, and I suppose I mean it in a positive way. Not everybody can or wants to think outside of the box.

In the end, only you know what works, and if there are people like me that don’t see eye to eye with you, well, that’s life. There will always be those people