High mileage

I am considering purchasing a 2012 Honda civic lx from a Honda dealer with 151000 miles on it for $7400. 1 owner and maintained. The body and interior are like new condition. Is this a good idea with that many miles on it?

Was the car driven mostly on the highway or on surface streets? You need to find out if you don’t know already. Highway is more likely, but if the car was used as a delivery vehicle, the mileage could include a lot of stop-and-go. I have a 2005 Accord with 156,000 miles, and it has been a champ so far. But you are getting to the mileage that some repairs (maintenance, really) will be needed. You need to check the stuff that wears out like brakes and tires to see if they need to be replaced soon. Paying a mechanic for a prepurchase inspection might uncover some issues that need to be fixed immediately that you might miss if you can’t do it yourself. I think putting the car up on a lift is an important part of the evaluation.

@stw96
Let Me Ask You, "How Many Miles Per Year Do Plan On Driving?

I have purchased several good used cars with over 100,000 miles on them, but not one with that many miles. For somebody not driving more than say, 10,000 or 12,000 miles per year, then it would probably work.

If you’re not planning on keeping it a long time then that’s another story. How long do you plan to own it?

When a 2012 has 151,000 miles, one need not ask if it’s “highway” miles. Generally I would prefer a 3 or 4 year old car with 150,000 miles over an older (rustier) car, 7 or 8 years old, with far fewer miles, for the same money.

CSA

That many highway miles in such a short time should be relatively “easy” miles for the car.

Agree: this was likely a salesman’s car and the miles would be easy. When I was selling diesel engines I drove 35,000 miles a year or more on paved highways with no load other than my briefcase and some catalogues. On the other hand if car had been driven by a construction superintendent, it would show scratches and nicks as well as being filled with dust is various crannies.

Yeah I bought a couple with over 100K. Just depends. The one was a one owner who grave stones. The car was like brand new with just a lot of miles. I got rid of it with 530K but should have dumped it a 300K. Its a lot of miles and I suspect maybe the price should be lower like in the $5000 range but I’d have to check the values. They might be charging a few thousand for the name alone and not necessarily the dependability. Mine were all GM.

I think that’s a very good selection. It has been driven around 50,000 miles per year, and unless there is an unusual history, that’s the kind of driving that cars do best, long trips on the freeways. $7400 seems like a good deal, especially if it comes with some kind of short term used car warranty.

I would not pay more than NADA clean trade-in $6,000 tops. Make sure you get a pre-purchase inspection and subtract any need work from that price.

A pre inspection is important, brakes, tires, timing belt fluid changes may be due. Now that could easily add $1500 in imminent repairs. Sounds like a good deal, if…

The car has new tires, serpentine belt replaced,oil change and a 72 point inspection. This civic has a timing chain. Brakes inspected and replaced. Comes with 2 years free oil changes and a comprehensive mechanical warranty to cover engine, transmission and a few other major parts and labor with no deductible.

The 72 point inspection is usually bogus; ask them to show you the inspection form and if there is any, you can see that things are just marked off and most of the time, there are items that you yourself can see is not correct.

I am not sure what kind of warranty they are offering, it is most likely not Honda warranty as the car is high mileage for it to be certified. If it was me, I would ask how much the warranty costs and then take it off the purchase price. Otherwise, make sure you read the fine print and research the company. Some of them go out of business every 6 months.

Two years of oil change is usually 2 oil changes to the tune of $50 each. Does not impress me.

How does the car drive. If those miles are local, the handling/suspension would feel somewhat tired.

A car like this with no rust and 150,000 miles on it would be ideal for me. I only drive about 7500 miles per year since I finally completely retires and in 10 years here thr rust will completely do it in no matter how little it is driven, if it is driven in the winter.

With a warranty it is probably worth it. The seller must be a dealer. The warranty is as good as the issuer. Is the warranty underwritten by the dealer, or did they buy an extended warranty? If the dealer underlies it, the warranty is only in effect while the dealer is in business.