Hex nut broken tranny pan off th350 extractor bit broke

I was torqueing the hex nut after draining my trans fluild. The hex nut broke off drilled a hole put extractor bit in, and that broke off.
extractor is just a nub, I have tried banging it out, small drill hole around it, heated it. Now I have a larger hole and the bit is still in there. What do I do? Am I going to have to get a replacement tranny or can I burn it out with a welder? But I am stuck without treads for a new bolt! Any help please. Phil

If you have access to a welder, center a hex nut over the broken stud/extractor. And thru the center of the nut weld it to the stud/extractor. Let it cool off and see if the stud/extractor turn out by the nut that was welded onto them.

Tester

@moondodge53

How about removing the pan from the vehicle first?

It’ll be much easier to tackle this chore with the pan on the bench.

Worst case scenario = new pan and gasket

You might read this thread, moondog53.

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2293037/broken-bolt-help/p3

@db4690, I think he’s talking about a trans pan bolt, not a drain plug in the pan.

If you do have a broken bolt in the transmission case, I would pull the pan back off, get a new gasket, put a thin layer of gray rtv (silicone) on both sides of the gasket, and carefully install the pan. Let the RTV dry for a few hours before filling the trans. If it doesn’t leak, great, you’re done and just don’t ever pull the pan again. If it does leak, you’ve only spent $20 and you can at least live with a slow leak while you figure out your options.