Here's a why do you see more of question

Why do you see more Honda Gold Wings traveling cross country,than you do Harley Davidson?

I think there is a fatigue as well as reliability factor involved here. My bother-in-law has a Goldwing and loves its civilized, quiet ride. It’s also bullet-proof, and never fails him.

This man is actualy a farmer and has 2 very expensive German Deutz diesel tractors, a snowmobile, and drives a Buick LeSabre.

Personally, a Harley would be the last thing I would want to ride cross country.

The only reason most people buy a Goldwing is to ride it cross country. The vast majority of Harleys are bought as almost a fashion statement, to be one of that group. Much fewer of them are ridden cross country.

The answer that comes to mind is that old ditty:

“Ride a Harley. Ride the best. Ride three miles and push the rest.”

While that may not be true any longer, old traditions die hard.

Probably because the Honda is about HALF the price of HD.

A Gold Wing is very smooth and to put it slightly negatively, an owner must search for a use for it. It’s not a good commuter bike although it can do that. It’s not a good cruiser although it can do that. It’s not a good errand bike although it can do that. A Gold Wing doesn’t make sense to me in view of today’s gas prices. A Gold Wing is good for 36 mpg, less than some cars now. A Harley bagger is good for 42 mpg. Harleys are smooth enough now with their rubber mounted engines. Also, some models have a mechanical engine balancer.

I have ridden my Harley for extended trips and see no reason against a cross country trip if that is what I want to do.

Harley, Harley, made of tin.
Ride it out, push it in.

Not true any more, mine has been more reliable than either of my two BMW bikes.

Check out resale values too; a Harley will do much better than a Gold Wing.

I doubt there are more Goldwings than Harleys on the highway; you just may be noticing them more. I rode Harleys for years and mostly on cross-country trips with lots of other Harley owners. I’ve also ridden on Goldwings. I’d rather have a Harley, but that’s a personal choice. Both of my Harleys were rock-solid reliable, but they were treated well and got all the required maintenance. My first one was traded in with over 40,000 miles on it and no repairs except for regular maintenance, a rear tire and two batteries. I sold my second Harley for more than I paid for it. Used Goldwings are a dime a dozen.

You are so incredibly WRONG, it’s not even funny.

2008 Honda Goldwings - $19,500 to $24,349
http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/touring_sport_touring/

Harley Lineup - $9,899 up to $30,00 for their Electra Glide Trike, which in my opinion, no longer makes it a motorcycle, and shouldn’t be counted, but there it is.
The Classic Electra Glide is $20,999.

So, The Goldwing is actually more expensive than MOST Harleys.

Facts are cruel, evil things, aren’t they?

BC.

Buy American! Buy Harley Davidson!

I don’t agree with the basic premise of seeing more Goldwings than Harleys traveling cross country. In my neck of the woods there are far more Harley Davidsons.

Also, I agree with Country Driver about the quality and resale aspect of the American built bike. Most importantly, only a Harley Davidson is a Harley Davidson world-wide legend. Considering pure enjoyment of ownership, those Japanese bikes are no comparison with the H.D.

America, what a country!

You have to be somewhat careful about MSRP comparisons. The Harley cachet is/was customization. To that end, most of their bikes are priced bare bones and it’s up to the purchaser to buy a lot of accessories/trim that might come standard on a metric bike. As one example, the basic EGC is priced with black paint only and other colors cost extra.

The cost may not be double but it’s typically more expensive to buy and outfit a Harley than your average metric bike.

Buy American! Buy Harley Davidson!

Too bad Harley isn’t BUYING American. When they started were plagued with electrical problems in the 80’s they started buying Japanese and Korean electronics to make a far more reliable bike.