Here is a question

i am reading craigslist and looking at rv’s - now, i have a 99 chevy trailblazer or maybe it is a blazer only
so i wanted to know about what size trailor this chevy could pull. and how would i look for a class to take to learn how to pull and maintain the unit? Now, the alternate question is, other than cost, is a RV eaiser to drive as apposed to pulling the trailor?
thanks for your info, I really do like your show. I listen to it on KDAQ - in shreveport la.

david

The ownwer’s manual has the towing capacity.

I like a trailer best over an RV.

A trailer you can park, then head out in your truck for visiting, exploring, side trips etc.
With an RV you have to batten down the hatches every time you wish to go anywhere and take all your stuff every time.
( My parents tried both and settled on a 27’ trailer pulled by a v8 Dodge Dakota. )

Don’t know about trailer classes though.
Inquire first at the place they sell the trailers.

I agree with Ken, but your question was which is easier to drive, and that would be the RV. But that is a close call as neither is very easy to drive, especially comparing a class A pusher to a 27’ trailer. Your Blazer/trailblazer won’t be pulling a 27’ trailer though.

If you are considering an RV for vacation purposes, look into renting one. They are quite expensive to buy, fuel and maintain for occasional use.

The owner’s manual lists the maximum towing capacity, but remember that this Blazer is 12 years young and much will depend on its condition and mileage. I would be hesitant to tow anything without a full and complete checkup.

Honestly, I like the idea of renting an RV and perhaps carrying some scooters on a rear rack. Unless, of course, there are young ones involved.

:wink:

shadowfax…

I’ve seen those rigs before while camping during bike-week in NH. Never saw a car in them…all had bikes…Not too sure how big a vehicle you can put in there and still open the doors to get out. I noticed the car is a convertible…I’ll the compartment isn’t wide enough to open the doors to get out of the car.

Yeah, I kind of wondered why they didn’t extend that bedroom slideout down to the garage. You could slide it out and create elbow room for yourself.

There’s another way it’s done, but you have to have a very low-slung car to pull it off:

Yah, kinda depends on what you’re going to do with it.
Most motorhomes could never be driven in the kind of back country we’ve taken our trailer.
Then to be able to park the trailer gives such great freedom to take that blazer in even further for hiking, spelunking, climbing, mountain biking, hunting, etc.

For a medium sized Blazer try a 16’ Scamp trailer.

Mom & Dad would go long term visiting and again the trailer was best.
Park it, set it up , leave it set up for a week or three ( especially all of Mom’s kitchen stuff ).
Then drive the truck to visit seven different people and destinations all around the area.

Your Blazer isn’t a particularly strong tow vehicle, being factory rated to pull up to 3,500 pounds, if memory serves me correctly. You would either be looking at a rather small pop-up camper or a larger, stronger tow vehicle. If I were traveling, I would prefer towing a camper so I could leave the camper behind and drive a normal vehicle around, which is vastly easier than trying to go places in an RV. However, if your Blazer is 4WD and has a transfer case that can be shifted into neutral, you could tow the Blazer behind an RV and have the best of both worlds. Note, though, that this is only possible if you have 4WD and an option to put the transfer case (not the transmission) in neutral. Even with a 2WD manual transmission, GM recommends against towing these trucks with the wheels on the ground and their manual transmission in neutral. Automatic in neutral, of course, will have the transmission destroyed within a few miles.

Add to all this the addition of another running chassis to maintain with a motor home being a large truck class labor and repairs.
cha ching !

Whereas just a trailer takes oh so much less $$