Helpless Saturn Ion Lady

I have a 2005 Saturn Ion and the powersteering continues to stop and go into manual mode. Right before it goes off, I hear a click and one second later, the powersteering is gone. What do I need to know about this car or car trouble? Thanks needing help. Is this something that happens to this particular car often? If it needs to be serviced, can someone estimate the cost?

Talk to the dealer’s service department, there may be a free repair offered on some kind of recall.

I took a look on the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) web site and found no recalls pertaining to this year/make/model, but there were a few Technical Service Bulletins, available to Saturn dealers that may or may not pertain to your car.

It sounds as though your car might have electric power steering. Maybe you are hearing a relay click just before the steering shuts down. I am not familiar with electric power steering, just guessing, here.

A bulletin does make reference to a problem caused by jump starting the vehicle and a “Steering” message displayed on the DIC (Driver Information Center). I don’t know if you have a DIC (it would be explained in your Owners Manual) or if this car was jumped started in recent history.

Here’s the bulletin summary I’m looking at:

Service Bulletins Summary

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
CHEVROLET / HHR 2006-2007

SATURN / ION 2003-2007

Service Bulletin Number : 050232002
NHTSA Item Number : 10020740
Summary Description :
POWER STEERING INOPERATIVE/STEERING WHEEL HARD TO TURN, PWR STR DISPLAYED ON DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER (DIC). AFTER JUMP STARTING THE VEHICLE. *KB

Here’s the link to take you there:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/results.cfm

I would call or go to your friendly Saturn Dealer and try and befriend a service advisor and see if she/he can shed some light on these bulletins or the probable cause, and estimate.

This sounds potentially dangerous and I wouldd get it checked out right away. I wish I could help more, but that’s all I’ve got.

Can you please post back here and report if you have had to have the car jump started or if you have a DIC with a “steering” message? It could help someone else help you.