Helpful winter driving advice

If it was you would think they would have learned after the first time,

You would think so, but I have lost count of the number of people whom I have known and/or counseled who never seemed to learn from their negative experiences.

1 Like

Like I always say COMMON SENSE is not to common any more. :upside_down_face:

I have to say that after a million and a half miles, I have never gone in the ditch. Still I have the towing company numbers in my cell phone. I tend to drive slower than others though in bad weather and faster in good weather.

On my first day of sales training, it was terrible weather and we plodded along a little slower than others. My trainer said we don’t want to waste the time getting out of a ditch when we could be making sales calls and money. Guess it stuck. Figure in the long run it’s faster to go slower and not need a tow. Plus always hit the mens room before venturing out in bad weather.

A good idea for any weather especially for older folks.

1 Like

Um yeah I mean, use the appropriate facility if possible.

1 Like

Nor have I, but some women (or possibly the same woman driving a Chevy Monte Carlo) might not be able to say the same.
:thinking:

maybe she had a crush on the tow truck driver. LOL

1 Like

Yes!
I leaned that during a fast-approaching, unpredicted blizzard, circa 1997.
It took me 3+ hours to negotiate my usual 35-40 minute home commute, and that taught me–the hard way–to visit the men’s room before venturing out in bad winter weather. That day was not a pleasant experience.

In these last couple of storms, there have been semis jack knifed that took anywhere from 2-4 hours to clear, blocking the interstate. They won’t let you turn around either. 60 car and 100 car and truck pile up too between here and Chicago, so bring a lunch if you are unlucky.

and a container in case you can’t hold it.

2 Likes

For several years, I have carried one in my cargo area… just in case.
So far, I haven’t had to use it, but…

2 Likes

Never been in a ditch, Had to go to work, fresh 4 to 6 inches of snow on a gravel country road, not driven or plowed. F100 mad it ok, until I heard a big clunk noise, stopped and there was a siamese cat in the road with a gash on it’s head, must have hit the fan, Got time off to go see a vet, Chani (dune reference) was a good cat!

I actually have been in the ditch once. I was in that CJ5, on snow, in 2wd. With the v8 engine and short wheelbase, the rear would kick out very fast if you lost traction (which I did). You don’t have a ton of time to countersteer when you’re in a CJ5. You’re basically sitting on top of the rear wheels. I never had any problem driving in 4wd, though. Of course, you still had to drive slow, etc., but at least it wouldn’t try to spin around like a top when it was in 4wd.

RE: “limited slip”. Don’t forget Traction Control.

It’s a pretty clever and inexpensive “limited slip” implementation, using the ABS system to detect when one wheel on a drive axle is spinning, and then carefully apply braking to that wheel.

1 Like

Have had some similar experiences. Once in Oregon I had a 4WD rental (I think it was a
Blazer) in a good snow storm and shifted between 4WD and 2WD as needed, mostly using 4WD just to get started.

I suspect in cases like that it helps to have traction at a front wheel, but 4WD drive also could cause one of the front wheels to slip, losing both inline and lateral traction, which 2WD drive wouldn’t have done. I think the take away is to be aware of the potential for this.

The key to your success in 4 wheel drive in the CJ was you were going slow. The V8 CJ also has the problem of so much torque to the rear wheels in two wheel drive that it is almost impossible to modulate it.

I had a 98 Olds Intrigue with traction control. The system left a lot to be desired. To visit my son, there was a route that included a winding hilltop 2 lane that was widswept and icy in the winter. I sometimes chose this route in the winter for fun. On more than one occasion I so confused the traction control/abs system that it continued buzzing and trying to modulate the brakes for two hours after I had arrived there and removed the keys.

I would like to consider myself smarter than my grandkids but I am not.

My grandson has a PhD in something to do with computers and his significant other is a foreign national with a PhD in history.

He taught her to play chess and after about a year she finally won a game from him. She said the victory would have meant more to her if he hd not been reading a book at the time.