Help with Blown Engine repairs

Engine blown on a 2009 Camry. Engine had 95505 miles on it. Cause was due to oil change not done correctly at oil change shop. They agreed to repair. What they want to do is replace the engine with a 2007 engine that has 81185 on it. Car Fax report shows that engine had regular oil changes. Should I go for this deal or should a rebuilt engine be requested. I really do not want to get a lawyer involved if possible as I am afraid that they will be more unwilling to make repairs if I start to push them. replacement engine was purchased from LKQ in Nevada.

I think you answered your own question. They are basically putting you back to where you were. They have many more lawyers then you so let them do this. This site gets a lot of questions like this where the oil changing place did nothing . So you are ahead of them .

Go for it.

The replacement engine has lower miles.

I’ve installed used engines/transmissions from LKQ here in MInnesota

Haven’t gotten a bad one yet.

Tester

If the prices at my local LKQ were any indication, they might spend less on a rebuilt. :wink:

I agree with the others - as long as there’s some sort of guarantee that there won’t be problems out of the box with the swapped engine, then hey, you’re coming out with a lower-miles engine, so that’s not a bad deal. I’d be fine with it.

If the used engine is going to be installed by the same knuckleheads who screwed up a simple oil change, I’d say “no thanks, I’ll have a used engine put in by a mechanic of my choice. You will send me a check”.

2 Likes

Total cost of the 2007 engine from LKQ IS 2120.00 with a 6 month warranty from LKQ. The oil change place is doing the repairs at their auto shop, I agreed to this since they did offer to take responsibility and do the repairs. I figured if I told them I wanted someone else to repair they would just fight me on this and I would be left with nothing. They also gave me a statement in writing that he would extend the 6 month warranty up to a year. Thanks for the response, seams like this is the best possible deal.

Total cost of the 2007 engine from LKQ IS 2120.00 with a 6 month warranty from LKQ. The oil change place is doing the repairs at their auto shop, I agreed to this since they did offer to take responsibility and do the repairs. I figured if I told them I wanted someone else to repair they would just fight me on this and I would be left with nothing. They also gave me a statement in writing that he would extend the 6 month warranty up to a year. Thanks for the response, seams like this is the best possible deal.

One thing I know is that in school they teach us that remanufactured engines is the best way to do rebuilt engines aren’t worth it

I believe I would choose the used engine myself. It was assembled by Toyota with OEM components. It has also been proven to be sound and in working condition. It is a known “working” quantity. Once an engine rebuilder gets a hold of something, you don’t know what was used in its construction. You don’t know what shortcuts have been taken. if any, etc… Rebuild engines aren’t what they are cracked up to be sometimes. I’d go OEM Toyota…

I think you ought to get a CASH settlement, then have the work done the way you want it done. Personally, I’d go for the used engine - or maybe buy another car - but I would NOT put whoever did the damage in charge of deciding if the work was done satisfactorily.

2 Likes