Help! POWER STEERING PROBLEM 90' Lincoln Town Car

I have a 1990 Lincoln Town-car 5.0 I installed a brand new power steering pump. Tried to bleed power steering pump and can’t get 20 pounds of pressure with the hand pump. 100% sure the cap IS SEALED on pump. Tried turning steering wheel and got bubbles got BIG bubbles. But, fluid will still not go down. Fluid got up to the top of the reservoir and i took a turkey baster, took out more fluid. I want to ADD fluid not take out fluid. I heard stepping on the brake would help? I have no obvious power steering leaks, there has to be a way to push that fluid down or get air out of the system. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!

Had a similar issue, rusted out power steering lines leaking faster than I kept up with, just keep working it and hope the motor survives, that is what I did, and the motor survived.

I get 12 pounds of pressure. I need more pressure. The pump works when i put my finger over the pump line i get over 20 pounds of pressure there. I have NO LEAKS.

These power steering systems are a bear to remove the air from.

The factory manual states, “If the air isn’t removed from the first attempt with vacuum pump, repeat the step until all the air is removed.”

Tester

i tried about 40 times with a vacuum pump.

You turned the front wheels from lock-to-lock with them off the ground?

Tester

AutoZone shows 2 types of pumps; one with a disclaimer as shown below.

Without reservoir

Remanufactured. Warning! This is a difficult installation, pump with factory-installed reservoir is recommended when available.

Any chance that operating the engine for a moment with the return line at the pump disconnected would allow it to bleed out?

I’ve done a lot of Ford pumps and never had to do anything to bleed them other than see-saw the steering wheel back and forth slowly.

Stepping on the brake will do nothing to help remove the air from the PS pump. Two totally different systems.

Like @Tester stated ; You need to raise the front wheels off the ground, start the engine and turn the wheel from stop to stop a few times. That should remove all the air from the lines.

Yosemite

Can’t say this will apply to your situation OP, but on my Ford truck I had to disconnect one of the ps hoses and bleed the fluid from the end of that hose into a container as I turned the steering wheel back and forth. Then I refilled the pump and all the air was gone. For me it worked better w/ the engine off, not on.

I fixed it. thanks GeorgeSanJose. It worked better with the engine off I agree.