Help my belts are burning!

The thing you should be thinking about first is why you are not taking this car to a real mechanic.

2 Likes

If the belt diagram that you linked is correct and the AC belt is smoking just cut it. You will lose nothing and the car will be driveable. It just seems so simpleā€¦

6 Likes

Doing as Rod recommends gives OP a really good chance of avoiding the towing fee, which might cost as much as the repair (if itā€™s a bad belt or tensioner).

Cut it!

Why are we not suggesting that the idler pulley might be stuck. Probably less likely, but plausible, no?

1 Like

Itā€™s an older car and who knows the last time the belt was replaced, if ever. Wouldnā€™t surprise me if the belt was simply getting bad, stretching and jumping the pulley.

Before cutting the belt, like others suggested, start the engine, turn the A/C on and see if you get cold air. Listen to any noise the compressor might make. If no noise and you get cold air I would replace the belt only. I am sure you can do that yourself by watching some youtube videos for your car. Itā€™s about $30 if you do it yourself and maybe $$$ if you take it to a shop.

This said, if you do not feel comfortable doing all this, then yes, cut the belt and drive the car to your favorite repair shop. No towing needed.

Edit: ā€œā€¦I would replace the pulley onlyā€¦ā€ to ā€œā€¦I would replace the belt onlyā€

The forces on both the belt and compressor are higher when the engine is revā€™d.

The belt shouldnā€™t be misaligned unless a pulley/component is misaligned

i see the timing chain drives the WP. and the TC tensioner and WP can be removed without taking off the timing cover. so, the motor can run without overheating with the serp belt removed. possibly. but you would have no alt or p/s.

If something is not visibly aligned then the belt is not the problem. Replacing the belt is working on the symptom, not the cause.

guys the car is at brakes plus they are working on it, they told me they were gonna put a new belt and fix one of the pulleys and then see if it works, if it doesnā€™t they will see what is causing it to break apart which would likely be the ac compressor so they would replace that if thatā€™s the case. I can just hope itā€™s not the ac compressor. Anyways thanks for the help I couldnā€™t respond so often cause it says Iā€™m a new user or whatever

And again I ask why you would take a car with this issue to a place called ā€œbrakes plusā€? They donā€™t have the ability or the equipment to even replace the A/C compressor if needed.

1 Like

Brakes Plus does Brakes PLUS other repairs.

Tester

I took they fixed it turned out just to be the pulley got stuck or something he said with normal ware and tear the bearings can stop working or something. Ended up costing $320 for the new belt and pulley. Also breaks plus is full mechanic shop they donā€™t just do breaks despite the name understand the confusion. Anyways how do you close a thread cause the problem is solved now

3 Likes

No need to close . Just leave it alone to float around in cyber space for ever.
Also glad that ( Brakes Plus ) solved your problem and who is breaks plus.

Itā€™s just a mechanic I have a lot where I live. I live in metro Denver and they are really common here. I guess the specialize in breaks but they all other repairs too

If they specialize in breaks I would avoid them at all costs. However, if they specialize in brakes they might be worth taking a chance.

Haha funny got me, typo lol

Thank you for sharing the update. Good to hear!

Or an idler frozen?

Usually you might notice a growling pulley. They normally donā€™t seize in a snap. You hear a whine/ growl prior to full on failure.