Help - Mitsubishi Galant 2002 - Engine Replaced but Fan will not stop running

Hello. I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant with ~176K miles. About 2 weeks ago it stopped running on the highway. I took it to Pep Boys :frowning: and they said I needed a new engine. I took it to another shop and they installed another engine with 64K miles but they ran into a problem and said the fan would not stop running when they turned the car off. Can someone help? I’m not done paying for the car yet :frowning:

Go into the fuse/relay box under the hood. The top. or underside of the fuse/relay box lid should show you which relay is the FAN relay. Take the fan relay out, and use the horn relay in its place (one of the relays should swap).
Check the antifreeze level in the radiator. Fill as needed.
If the radiator fan still runs after replacing the fan relay, and the radiator is full, the next suspect is the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS) being defective.

I agree. The fluid levels, coolant temp sensor, and fan relay are the things to check first. The coolant temp sensor is the only thing in the fan circuit that was replaced.

The car is 7 years old and has nearly 180K miles. Don’t you think you should hurry up and pay off the loan?

Yup! I’m almost done. Bad divorce & working too far from home will do that to you…too many miles & I had to buy the lease out.

I think the shop is going to try the ECTS.