Help me find a micrswitch

If the switches are PCB (PWB?) mounted, then you need an exact replacement with the same pin spacing… that makes if almost impossible, as odds are, that switch was custom made for that application.

Maybe you could take a picture of them so we have an idea of the form factor? There are literally thousands of SPST, OFF-Mom ON, through hole switches available from places like Digikey, Mouser, Newark, Allied and so on.

BTW, I googled on Scion sunroof microswitch and found some interesting information. Even one guy that added a dab of epoxy to the switch cover top to increase the throw of the switch and overcome intermittent operation.

A part number may be found once the cap is removed, if it has one. You could also then access the inner workings and clean the contact surfaces with cleaner. Often gold plated beryllium copper, so do not use anything the least bit abrasive or you’ll remove the plating and it will oxidize in record time.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff40011%2Cfff80061%2Cfffc0020&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=0&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=500

You might find what you’re looking for there. I usually find what I need from them.

Thanks guys. George, I’ll try these places.

A photo of a 5mm X 5mm pushbutton won’t help It’s just a tiny black cube with a button on top.

The good news is that the double pole switches I found yesterday were also 5mm X 5mm, so the lead spacing across will be the same. The buttons will simply be off center… which may or may not cause the rocker that pushes them to push them properly. I need to pick some up and take a closer look.

A dab of epoxy won’t help. I’ve pushed the buttons directly with a multimeter attached and they’re intermittent internally. No way to repair them. But I’ll check that Google idea anyway. Perhaps someone out there has located a replacement button.

You guys still have a RadioShak. All the stores around me closed up months ago.

Radio Shack stores are now owned by General Wireless and a joint venture with Sprint.

A photo of a 5mm X 5mm pushbutton won’t help It’s just a tiny black cube with a button on top

Well there you go, that was more information than we had previously so I think you’ve submarined the exercise before giving it a chance to succeed. That’s exactly the type of information the picture provides that you will have a hard time accurately describing. Shape and size of the “button” for example…

No way to repair them

Most things that have been assembled can be disassembled with the proper skills and determination. Sometimes, the effort is simply too much if you have other alternatives. You did say you like to tinker and fix things so that approach was worth investigating.

There’s also no reason your replacement switches can’t work with some ingenuity. They don’t HAVE to be soldered into the PCB holes. Clip the leads, solder wires between the stubs and board and then epoxy them onto the PCB centered on the rocker contact point… One example.

We use newark electronics and mouser for parts.

“Most things that have been assembled can be disassembled with the proper skills and determination.”
There are millions of products that cannot be nondestructively disassembled regardless of skills and determination, especially at this size level. This is one. Do you really think I could have gotten all the way down to the microcomponent level and not had the skills to go further if it were possible?

"Well there you go, that was more information than we had previously"
Exactly what did you think a 5mm X 5mm PCB-mounted microbutton would look like? I challenge you to show me one that isn’t a tiny cube with a button on top.

Yes, they HAVE to be soldered into the PCB board. The previously mentioned rocker switch needs to properly interface with the buttons when the rocker is properly placed in its bespoke cavity, molded into the unit’s body shell. The problem is not lack of ability to desolder the buttons and install replacements, the problem is that I cannot find new buttons.

Thanks knifenmore, I’m going to try them.

Someone also mentioned a Scion website. I’m posting there too, in the hopes that someone out there has had the same problem and found a microbutton. I’ll let you all know if I get lucky.

Shadow, that was an excellent link. It led me to CW Industries, which is an extensive source. I’m not done searching the site, but if I find something I’ll post.

Okay!

How "bout a NANO-SWITCH?

http://www.mouser.com/new/ckcomponents/ckcomponentskmt/

Tester

LOL, cool, but TOO small!!
These are Surface Mount Technologies (SMT) switches. The one I’m looking for is about 4mm high and has two leads at the edges of the body perpendicular to the button.

However the site gave me a list of manufacturers of these type of products, and that’s a big step forward. Thanks.

Tried All Electronics?

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/716/switches-pushbutton/1.html

Try Digi-Key–you can find nearly anything electronic there as far as components go: digikey.com/

Sooooo close. “All Electronics” has one almost perfect… except for the lead configuration. Darn.
Digi-Key is a great source, but nothing that’ll fit.

I want to thank you all for your help. After searching extensively through all the links and websites (and links on the websites) I’ve concluded that I won’t find a good match to the button until years from now, when I’ll be browsing through an electronic component warehouse somewhere and stumble upon one… knowing that I was looking for one once, but unable to remember what for. The control module will go into my inventory of old stuff, its repair having been a good idea impossible to execute.

If I do stumble on something, I’ll post, but until them I officially relinquish the time and space to OPs with real issues that NEED to be resolved. Mine is a WANT, not a need. Sincere thanks to all.
TSM

the same mountainbike: I have worked with people like you and completely understand. A couple of our avionics technicians enjoyed repairing as opposed to replacing components. They would replace a “rectumfrier”(ouch)! on a circuit board instead of replacing the board. I accompanied one of them to a local electronics part supplier a few times where he was able to purchase obscure “naughty bits” for repairs. This is the information I found for Norvac Salem, OR

Norvac Electronic Parts

CLOSED NOW
Today:10:00 am - 3:00 pm Pacific time
Tomorrow:Closed
2110 Commercial St NE,
Salem, OR 97301
(503) 585-9810
Business Details
years
in Business
Hours:
Regular Hours
Mon - Fri8:00 am - 5:00 pmSat10:00 am - 3:00 pm
SunClosed
Extra Phones:
Phone: (503) 584-1806
Fax Number: (541) 345-2979
Brands:
Electronics
Payment method:
all major credit cards
Neighborhood:
Highland
Other Link:
http://norvacsalem.com
Categories:
Consumer Electronics, Computer & Equipment Dealers, Electric Equipment & Supplies

I did not want a sunroof on my current car. I was more concerned of a fender bender getting it out of whack than electronics. The car I wanted (manual transmission) found had a sunroof. The dealership ate the $700 option price so what the heck. I did have a (driver’s) power window switch on my 1985 Crown Victoria fail. The switch panel was $150. I was able to “jump” the one failed switch and install a three position toggle switch for $3!

the same mountainbike: “Those days are long gone. Probably just as well.” I’m not so sure about that. I remember our first TV (1957) needing a tube or 2 plus antenna adjustments. Kids could walk to school or ride their bikes to town to watch a movie without being reported and placed into foster care. The first 9 Presidents/Commanders in Chief since my birth (Truman thru H.W. Bush) actually served in the military.

Radio Shack digressed from electronic parts to cell phone sales some time ago. I think they are almost officially down the drain now.

I live in the mountains. My cistern is 5740 feet above sea level. That means lightning is pretty bad at times. When we moved here, I lost some consumer electronics, such as a laptop, to lightning. I bought some horribly expensive and useless suppression devices from a company which makes them. Did I say useless?

One day when I was back to the States. W*****t had infinite suppressors, made by Phillips for $50. They guaranteed to pay for any computer equipment which was damaged when using their suppressors. The 115 V has fast relays which actually open up when there is a spike, and you can reset it.

But, the phone line, which is where we get hit, has suppressor diodes and i/2 amp slow blow fuses designed to be soldered into a circuit board. SB fuses actually blow almost instantly if they get hit hard enough. And, these do get hit very hard when I forget to disconnect the phone line, which does not happen often.

Every time the surge protector blew fuses, the $50 protector committed suicide to protect the computers. So, I was still out $50. My SIL gave me his professional solder/desolder outfit when he bought a new one. He is like TOOLMAN and has better stuff than we had in the high tech factory.

Now, I open the Phillips surge protector and replace the two fuses that blow out.

He originally got 10 for me from Mouser. This time I had him order 30. $2.31 each. He told me he found a cheaper 1/2 amp SB, but I checked and while they both would go the same time at 1/2 amp, the cheaper ones did not go out as fast at higher currents, so I paid the extra money.

I would like to find a relay activated suppressor for phone lines but so far no luck.

My point here on off-topic is to point out, with no comment on TSM’s problem that at times one can repair things that are not considered repairable. My best friend in the USA opens up laptop batteries and replaces the bad cell.

And, I drive into Tepeaca and two clever men recharge printer cartridges for about $2.35 each.

And, local people here with old vehicles drive them a shorter distance and get almost anything fixed. My builder has a 1976 Chevrolet pickup and they seem to be able to get almost any part. Ditto for Old Ford Rangers. I don’t just mean motor parts, but also the turn signal parts that go inside the steering wheel. And lens for stop lights.