Help key wont go into ignition

So i was leaving the gym and i got in my car , attempted to put the key in but it wouldn’t go in , it got half way and felt like something was blocking the way but i could still push it if i really really tried , the car is in park and the wheel isnt locked. Should i call a locksmith or just get a mallet out and beat my key in?

Don’t force it. Try rocking the steering wheel back and forth, then reinsert the key. Or gently trying to push the key in while rocking the steering wheel. Sounds a little like torque lock symptom.

If you have another key for the car, try it. I had a similar issue where my current key had just worn out.

Could be the pins have worn out. This is caused by age, use, and heavy keychains hanging off of your ignition key. Alternatively, the pins may just be dry and need a little lube to start working again.

Put some graphite powder in the lock and see if that helps. Your key will be dirty for a while, so keep an old cloth in the car to wipe off the key before you put it in your pocket.

2 Likes

+1 for the graphite as a first step. A little lubricant can go a long way.

All good ideas above. Be sure to try the key upside down too. Auto keys usually work both orientations, and sometimes one works better than the other.

1 Like

I have a 2003 is300 Lexus and my car just did this last nite and i was thinking of a thousand things it could be but i am going to try the lubrication first but i can’t get to a store all I can use is wd40 can anyone tell me is that ok to spray on key and key hole I am stuck home in driveway not sure what to do

When I had this problem I drowned the cylinder in WD-40. When that didn’t work I removed it and took it to a locksmith. He told me that WD-40 was a bad idea - I forget why - that I should use graphite. Then he made a key from the cylinder ($10) that fit well - it was easy to see that my old key had worn out by comparing the 2. This was way cheaper than calling somebody out. 15 years later I bought a replacement cylinder ($30). This is an '87 Toyota pickup: your prices may differ.

WD 40 can sometimes weaken plastic parts that it gets on, which may be the reason using it on a lock cylinder is probably best avoided. If OP wants to try wd40, just wipe a little on the key with a soft rag, don’t spray it into the cylinder. If OP doesn’t have any graphite lube, could try to use a pencil instead. Just rub the pencil lead on the surfaces of the key. The kind of soft lead work best. I use those short pencils they give you at the library or golf course. If that doesn’t work, OP could try heating the key and/or the cylinder with a hair dryer. Might free things up enough until the actual problem can be resolved. I had a problematic door latch last summer on my Corolla, which I fixed by grinding the wafers a little with my dremmel tool so they lined up better. Probably due to a worn key.

2 Likes