Help Keeping an Accord Running Smoothly

I have a 1996 Honda Accord (automatic) with just over 149,000 miles. In the 5 years since I’ve owned it it’s required little more than some new spark plugs and tune up. I currently drive about 30 miles a week, but starting tomorrow I’ll be driving much, much more to a new job. Living in Chicago with awful potholes, salt, and traffic, I’m concerned about what may happen in the near future…

I’ve been getting a grinding noise on the front driver side for years and have never fixed it and never noticed a change…I know it’s the tie rod ends/ball joints. I’ve been warned that the wheel could come off, and as much as I believe them and don’t want this to happen, nothing has ever happened. Is this something to do since there has been no change in symptoms or car performance in a couple years?

Other than that, any tips for keeping the car in good, working order? I do oil changes, but are they really necessary every 3000 miles? I have to make it last as long as possible and actually love the car anyway!

“I’ve been warned that the wheel could come off, and as much as I believe them and don’t want this to happen, nothing has ever happened. Is this something to do since there has been no change in symptoms or car performance in a couple years?”

Hmmm…That type of reasoning is the automotive equivalent of a person saying…Well, my doctor tells me that I am likely to get lung cancer or Emphysema if I continue to smoke, but I don’t have either of those diseases yet, so…Why should I stop smoking?.

Do you really want to find out the hard way that an earlier automotive or medical diagnosis/warning/prediction was correct?

And, in case you might think that a wheel coming off is not serious, please bear in mind that catastrophic failures are much more likely to take place while driving on a highway, rather than in a parking lot or in your driveway. For some reason that I can’t fathom, most folks seem to think that their car will break down in a convenient place, at a convenient time, and will not pose a safety problem. Unfortunately, all of that type of reasoning has the potential to be wrong–possibly fatally wrong.

The first thing that you need to do is to take the car to a competent mechanic (note: that means NOT going to Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Pep Boys, Firestone, AAMCO, or another chain), have the car put on a lift and have the entire suspension, steering mechanism, wheel bearings, and CV joints checked.

Are oil changes necessary every 3,000 miles? Not necessarily.
If you are driving only 30 miles per week, you may need to change the oil every 1,000 miles!

Oil changes need to be done on the basis of elapsed time, as well as on the basis of odometer mileage. If you look in your Owner’s Manual, focus on the SEVERE SERVICE maintenance schedule, because a car that is driven only 30 miles per week is being subjected to the worst type of usage imaginable, and this makes the engine very prone to damaging oil sludge. Under the type of conditions to which you subject your car, the oil should be changed ~every 4 months, no matter how few miles you have accumulated in that time period.

That being said, there is much more to automotive maintenance than just oil changes and replacing spark plugs. I strongly suggest that you read the maintenance schedule that is contained in your Owner’s Manual, paying careful attention to what it states regarding how to maintain a car that is subjected to severe service.

In addition, I don’t understand the ‘grinding noise…tie rod ends/ball joints’ comment. They cause clunking noises, not grinding noises. Either way, do as VDC advises, get the front end of the car (and the rest of it) a thorough going over by a good independent mechanic. Click on “Mechanics Files” above to search for one near you.

VDC Driver said it all. When I worked in Nigeria, our local office manager said that AIDS was not a problem in Nigeria, because, as she said, “I don’t have it”!

If you are going to do a lot of driving around Chicago, a reliable car is a must. You have to become proactive about your maintenance and read the owner’s manual thoroughly. Then set up a schedule and BUDGET to manage the well being of your car.

The tips for keeping your car in good working order will be found in a book in your glove compartment.

Ignoring a KNOWN issue is not only unsafe for you…Its Hazardous FOR OTHER PEOPLE ON THE ROAD…Not fixing it is irresponsible at best. I dont get your philosophy to be honest

I would jack up the front of the car and with the wheels on…inspect what is going on by trying to move the wheels left and right and also up and down…Does it have play in either wheel? If SO…address it…

Texases is correct…tie rods and ball joints do “clunk” Bearings make growling and grinding sounds…and in addition if they are failing severely they will make the rotors become unalligned within the brake caliper…this will also basically be applying the brakes when you arent applying them…it will create A LOT of heat also…after driving the car you can feel or touch the front wheels and see if either of them is HOT…

Your car has been gracious enough to give you LONG RUNNING WARNING SIGNS…You are stupidly ignoring them at your and other peoples safety…and that aint right

Get to Wrenching man…NOW

Blackbird

Have you ever looked at the CV joint boots? if they have never been changed, then they are undoubtedly torn up and that is the source of your grinding noise. They have probably gone well past the clicking on corners stage. at least the wheel wont fall of, but it will make a lot of noise and you will come to a stop when the joint finally breaks.

If you haven’t had the timing belt changed in the last 5 years, you are running on borrowed time. They have a seven year life span, the rubber rots with time and the rubber will be rotten by now, exposing the kevlar reinforcing fibers. Once exposed, they start to fail.

What everyone else said PLUS, of you dont want it to rust away. make sure you are applying a good quality wax to the car AT LEAST twice a year. ALSO make sure the undercarrage gets sparyed clean of salt as often as you can get a hose under there.

When was the last time the timing belt was changed? If you still have the owner’s manual/maintenance manual, check to see what the recommended change interval is. It is 105.000 miles or 7 years for my 2005 Accord (whichever is first). You might be due for a change.

When was the transmission fluid changed last? It should be changed every 30,000 miles. If you don’t know when, get it done before you start the long commutes.

You need to change as often as Honda recommends in the owner’s manual or maintenance manual. For your low mileage driving (30 mi/wk), 3000 miles happens every 2 years, and that is not often enough. You should have changed it at least once a year, and should have followed Honda’s recommended change interval based on time, not mileage.

Ignoring a KNOWN issue is not only unsafe for you…Its Hazardous FOR OTHER PEOPLE ON THE ROAD…Not fixing it is irresponsible at best. I dont get your philosophy to be honest

Not only that…but in many states it’s a Misdemeanor (aka Crime) to knowingly drive a vehicle that is unsafe.