Help --- Dealer Dropped car off of lift

I’m sorry but it was unfortuanate. It was in their care so really doesn’t matter if it was negligence or a drunk smashing through the wall. They have the legal obligation to return the car to pre-accident condition. They will do that by realigning the fenders and hood, checking the frame for damage and re-align, replacing the doors, replacing the trim, and so on. It needs to be done and checked by a competent shop.

When they are all done, and have gone over your punch list, if you don’t like the job, simply trade it in for a new one. It’s a Taurus and not really a car you should be thinking about handing done through the generations. As much as you like it, and as upset I would be if it fell off a rack, a car such as this is easily replaced. A couple thousand dollars for the mileage and the aggravation and you’d be back in a new car.

Can you pay an independent body-shop to come see the car and tell you exactly how much damage there is? What if you contacted your own insurance to see the car and give an estimate of needed repairs and road worthiness afterward. These might give you some leverage in discussing options.

If The Hood Was Closed When It Fell And Now The Hood Lines Aren’t Straight Then It’s Quite Possible The Front-End Was Swayed. The Car Is Unibody (Integral Frame Structure), But Possibly Has The Equivalent Of Some “Frame Damage” And Would Need To Have The Body Realigned.

I would never purchase a used car knowing that this had happened to it. I would purchase something else.

This is not what one should reasonably expect to have included with service on their car. Have you spoken to the dealer owner/principal ?

The quickest way to get this resolved would be for the dealer to replace the car, eat any loss not covered by insurance, and then when the car gets repaired they can stick it on their used car lot. That’s where I’d be going with this.

CSA

With all the body damage I’d also be wondering if there’s damage to the frame, steering components, struts, motor & transmission mounts. It’s very likely a 3 foot drop could cause damage to any or all these components. If they didn’t work with me getting this resolved to MY satisfaction I’d be notifying newspapers, radio stations, TV stations,BBB, and anyone else that would get the word out on this dealer and the way they treated their customers. There’s absolutely no reason you should be out a dime on this and even if they repaired it you are losing through accelerated depreciation. Someone said let them repair the car then trade it for a new one, this is not an option in this case, the dealer damaged the car so the dealer should pay, you shouldn’t have to pay a few thousand dollars because of their mistake. If they can repair the car as good as new let them repair it and sell it, see if they get a new price out of it. 6000 miles is nothing for a car. I’d certainly expect such a car to last well over 200K miles if properly taken care of. My daily driver has over 517K miles.

If they didn’t work with me getting this resolved to MY satisfaction I’d be notifying newspapers, radio stations, TV stations,BBB, and anyone else that would get the word out on this dealer and the way they treated their customers.

And you’d be in the Malibu Pennysaver right next to the Chiropractor of the Year Award article.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to pursue this with the dealer’s insurance carrier?

FordMan59

In case you were not aware of it, the BBB is essentially useless.
Perhaps filing a complaint with a govenmental entity that has actual punitive power–such as the Office of Consumer Affairs–might be appropriate, but filing a complaint with the private “Old Boys Club” known as the BBB is a true waste of time.

No the BBB can’t do anything about the problem, but it would be on their rating if anyone ever checked. Many TV stations around the nation cover and help with consumer problems, I know this from my own experience. A few years ago I couldn’t get Dish Network to repair my service yet they expected me to continue paying the bill and when I told them to just disconnect it after having made 4 appointments all with a 4 hour time frame and they didn’t show up they told me I’d have to pay off the remainder of the contract. I notified the local TV station and they got involved and I never heard anymore about paying for service I hadn’t received or paying off the contract. This is not the publicity any business wants!

“Many TV stations around the nation cover and help with consumer problems,”

That’s a last resort. It seems to me that the issue should be addressed directly with the dealer, the owner’s insurance, and the dealer’s insurance. Getting a media outlet involved will erase any good will that might exist. That is essentially declaring war, and should never be done unless all else fails.

Doesn’t overall damage count towards a totaled out vehicle? Like hail damage done to the roof, hood and trunk lid totals out the car.

I’ll ask again, what does YOUR insurance company say? They might help speed things up if an adjuster from your insurance company came out to look at the car while it was there. Then let the 2 companies have a go at it.

That’s a last resort. It seems to me that the issue should be addressed directly with the dealer, the owner’s insurance, and the dealer’s insurance. Getting a media outlet involved will erase any good will that might exist. This is essentially declaring war, and should never be done unless all else fails.

That was my point if they are not willing to either repair and pay for damages for depreciation resulting from the accident or replace the car then get the media involved. I wasn’t suggesting getting them involved until a last resort. I had said IF they didn’t give me complete satisfaction I’d take these steps.

THAT"S DISGRACEFUL! Who knows what other damage that can’t be readily seen was caused by the dropping of your mom’s car? They have INSURANCE to cover stuff like this. Tell the dealer you will file and have them served by the sheriff for court if they will not deal favorably with you toward you getting a new Taurus. That action appears in the public record and in the newspapers - what dealer wants that? If the dealer won’t budge go see a nasty, hungry, mean-spirited, attorney who deals with damage claims. You want to be made whole, not partial, and not have to wait for the day the car blows up with Mom in it.

OK FordMan59. I read your second post and not the first. I’m glad we agree.

FordMan, just to satisfy my curiosity, what is your daily driver? 517k miles is making me jealous.

Update…

$8000 in damages on their insurance write up.

Meeting w/ GM went well - especially after pointing out that there were things missing on the write up - no replacement of damaged rims, no mention of the hood mis-alignment, etc…

So… right now… their words are, “we should be able to find a matching vehicle”.

Of course, my interpretation of ‘dealer speak’ is that they meant to say, “we will find you a matching vehicle and charge you accordingly for your upgrade”.

Thanks!

In “dealer speak,” I think “we should be able to find a matching vehicle” means “We will find you another 2011 Taurus that is six months old with 6,000 miles on the odometer.” It won’t be a new car. It will probably be one someone bought and took home, but ended up backing out of the deal.

Whitey, We Agree ! My Interpretation Of Dealer Speak Was The Same. However This Is Speculation. They Deserve A Chance To Explain.

If it was left to me I wouldn’t accept that (used car, demo, etcetera). No money would change hands, either. The fact that they are thinking replace, rather than repair, means they’re leaning in the right direction. They may just need a nudge of some sort (suggestions mentioned previously).

I’d simply explain that you knew how Mom’s car was driven / maintained and the unknowns with a used car leave something to be desired. Besides, some compensation is owed for anguish, disappointment, distress, etcera.

CSA

Yes… we do not want to accept a used car… would accept a 1000 to 3000 mile demo that has not been titled, as this is what was purchased originally.

“… would accept a 1000 to 3000 mile demo that has not been titled, as this is what was purchased originally.”

Good point about the title. It makes the difference between a one owner car and a two owner car and perhaps a difference in resale value.

Be careful with the vehicle’s “in-service date.” That could make the warranty period shorter or longer than what Mom had. I think she’ll max out on time before mileage. They could compensate with a Genuine FORD manufacturer’s extended warranty throw in if it falls shorter.

CSA

Dealers don’t like demos to accrue 1 to 3k miles on them so that may be a tough row to hoe.

If a demo does appear that has this kind of mileage there may be a story behind it.

JMO, but the dealer owes you a 2011, 6 month old, 6k miles Taurus that is comparably equipped. If you’re out some incidentals then I’d prod them in providing an Ford backed extended warranty to offset those incidentals.

With 8 grand (and counting) in damages there is no way on Earth you should accept this car back.

Frankly, in my opinion, they owe you a replacement (and money to cover a rental and any other expenses you incurred in the meantime), and nothing more. Another 2011 Taurus that is six months old with 6,000 miles on the odometer fits that description. If you ask for something newer, and they refuse, and they make you take them to court, they will be able to show they offered you a direct replacement in good faith and you refused it. New cars don’t need to be broken in like cars made 25 years ago, so how it was driven in the last 6,000 miles won’t be an issue, and maintenance won’t be an issue because nothing should have been due on a car that young.

I’ve never bought into that “it was driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays” line. I don’t think you are making that part up, but even if it’s so, driving a car like that isn’t really the best thing for it. Cars driven by little old ladies short distances don’t usually get up to full operating temperature, so I think you are assigning value to your car based on this idea, and that won’t amount to a quantifiable value in court.