Help! 1990 cherokee-what maintenance should be done?

yeah I think its a vent line. no air movement, but the one I fixed definitely has suction. my air filter is worrying me though

the other lines are al connected.

Are you sure thats not brake fluid from the brake booster?

The only other way I’d guess it actually being oil is from some kind of leaking valve cover gasket or head gasket, but I would assume you’d have some more symptoms going on. Whats your oil level look like and your brake fluid level look like?

no theres a hose that goes from my filter to the valve cover, its oil . same set up as my carb truck except on truck hose goes to breather body from valve cover lid. except this seems not to go thru filter before going into combustion air like my truck. im assuming oil got overfilled. I m trying to teach my better half to maintain fluids.

by the way, thank you…

No problem at all. I’m here to learn more and help however I can. I could be way wrong but isnt that related to your PCV? I’m wondering if theres supposed to be something there that somebody may have bypassed because it stopped working. Total guess.

. my Haynes manual isn t very helpful. the one I have for my truck is great but this one leaves a lot out

may be related to pcv or ccv? says those are screwed into rocker arm cover, what ever that is. may be the same as what I call valve cover I don t know. my computer sure is getting greasy :slight_smile:

not pcm, ccv

may be called fresh air supply hose. it goes from top of rocker arm cover (valve cover?) to air filter cover. is part of pcv system, but not pcv itself, or I may have the ccv system instead. it has many diagrams including my exact set up, but book is just not written well. I may look for another brand like chiltons

I need to spend a day just cleaning my engine compartment

ok guys, I ve done some things and gotten some results.
will you help me understand them?

ok. I fixed a small vacuum tube that was broken. it went to a valve connected to my water lines between water pump and where lines went to fire wall. expansion valve?

I changed air filter, plugs and wires, and cleaned bi metal temperature sensor in air filter cover.

old air filter had oil in it, coming from fresh air tube that goes from filter cover to top of rocker arm cover/valve cover. possibly indicating that PCV valve/ccv valve not operating properly?

after doing this I started engine and noticed that it ran better/quieter and that exhaust smelled different. I checked tail pipe and noticed a lot of moisture coming out immediatly, and this water was sooty. I took it for a ride. it ran better and quieter and had better acceleration.

I went home and the tail pipe was dry, but was still black and sooty, no gas smell though. I did not check pipe beforehand but don t re call it being sooty. I took off fresh air tube between air filter cover and top of rocker arm/valve cover to check if it was getting oily again. it was not but it seemed to have some moisture(water) in it?

the old plugs did not look too bad before I changed them, but did appear tan and ashy.

parts store did not have pcv/ccv valve so I did not change that. I did not clean MAP sensor either, not sure how.

any thoughts or info?

wes

The spark plugs should look tan

Change the pcv valve . . . get one at another parts store

As far as cleaning that sensor, you probably mean the MAF sensor, correct?

Get MAF cleaner at the parts store, should cost about $5

I’m not sure if your sensor looks like this one, but most of them are pretty similar

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_maf_clean/cleaning_maf_sensor_2.php

Yeah the MAF sensor will be a section in the tubing between the air filter and the throttle body and it will have wires going to it. You take out that section and spray the little sensor thats suspended in the middle of the tube. Read the directions on the can of cleaner.

As far as that moisture that’s tough to say. Again keep an eye on all your fluids - oil, coolant, etc. How many miles are on this engine? It sounds to me like it needs to be aired out. A good romp down the highway.

thanks I have the cleaner and yes I meant MAF but there is a MAP sensor on my firewall, at least that s what this lousy Haynes manual says. it a manifold absolute pressure sensor on the firewall. I ll check your link and my book and see if I can find the MAF . and I ll get the PCV or CCV whichever I have, I can t tell from this book. I hope it s cheap. the soot is worrying me though

@wesw‌

Leave the MAP sensor alone, unless you have a fault code, or some other problems which lead you to think it’s a problem

The vacuum hose is still attached to the MAP sensor, correct?

just did that fender! but only took it up to 60 a couple times fast on a back road

I think so. I know what you mean now and where the MAF is, i ll go look it over. do you mean the huge hose between air cleaner and throttle body or a smaller vacuum line Db?

thanks guys!

the sooty tail pipe is definitely a new thing. could some crap just be coming out because its running better?

Your Cherokee has no MAF sensor.