Heaviest car part? Largest?

If I remember right there were two water pumps.

Good point, it is a Flat Head… My first car, a '54 Dodge Meadowbrook with a Red Ram Hemi had a single return radiator hose that mounted onto an upside “Y” manifold that mounted to each head of the engine and then collected the coolant from both sides at once…

1 Like

If you closely observe old B&W TV shows from the '50s (Burns & Allen is my favorite), the frequently-seen chrome coffee electric percolators are always coated with something to remove the shine from them.

1 Like

I can neither confirm nor deny that… lol
It has been a LONG time since I have looked at one in person…

1 Like

Yep, from what I can find the flathead had 2 inlet hoses, 2 outlet hoses, and 2 water pumps.

2 Likes

I’ve googled numerous images of the Ford Flat Head V8 and it shows how the two coolant returns on each head and the two coolants returns on the two water pumps (one on each side of the front of the engine) and how the fan belt was installed to power the generator and the two water pumps.

It’s a 30-min video but you can see everything in the first 15-seconds… and you can jump around…

1 Like

It seems the Andy Griffith show is pretty well watched among folk here … lol … … There’s another car-related episode that affected my grammar-school-age interest in how cars work . Gomer (the local car mechanic) finds himself in the backseat (against his will) of a car being driven by criminals. They are rushing to get away from the scene of their crime. The engine starts to sputter and the ever-helpful Gomer says “Oh oh, I think that’s the fuel pump!” … Soon after the car stops running entirely and the Sherriff catches the criminals. When I watched this episode, I wondered intently how Gomer knew the problem was the fuel pump? Since it seemed like knowing how to make that diagnosis would be a good thing for me to know, I decided I had better pay attention & study up more on how cars work.

I keep watching for this episode to repeat, but for some reason I don’t think I’ve ever seen it, at least in recent re-runs.

1 Like