Heat sheild?

on my 92 chevy caprice a piece of metal fell off that was between the muffler and gas tank.

what was it and where can i find this piece

Probably a heat shield…

Any muffler shop can probably replace it.

Likely a heat shield. Likely you can live without it, or as suggested, it might be able to put it back on.

Mike, thank you

thank you Joseph