Hearing Crunching Sound In 2015 Chevy Cruze - 2 Video Links Included

I have been hearing a crunching sound in my new (used) 2015 Chevrolet Cruz since I bought it on April 27th. The shop could not hear it but I realized that I could record it with my iPad.

The sound occurred every time the car was sitting for a while and it would happen around the time I got to 10 mph. Sometimes (I think) 20 mph. Never higher than that speed. Always after it had been sitting for a while. A few times, I heard it after the car sat for about 10 minutes but mostly after it sat for a while or over night/a few hours. I can feel the vibration when I hear the sound. I have included two videos that I made. What could this be? Please help! Thank you! God bless you! Please read the video description to see exactly where the sound occurred.
Video #1:Michelle Donnatien - Chevrolet Cruz 2015 - Crunching Noise - YouTube
Video #2: Michelle Donnatien - Video 2 - Crunching Sound - Chevrolet Cruz 2015 - YouTube

If the car sits for a few days rust builds up on the iron brake rotors. The first few times you apply the brakes, it cleans the rust off. I think that is the noise you hear. Iron rotors must be bare to work properly and they will rust as all iron does. This is normal. It is not a safety issue or a maintenance issue. It can be more noticable on some cars than others… like yours.

I can’t hear anything unusual on your recordings, but from your verbal description, I am 99% sure that you are hearing the normal ABS-self test. On some makes and models, the self-test is barely noticeable, but on others–like the Cruze–it is loud enough to alarm people.

:point_up_2:

3 Likes