Heard a grinding, looked and found this..help!

You can’t check lug nuts with your fingers. Put the lug wrench on each nut and lean on it in the tightening direction with a good shove.

Enter your info here.

And it’ll give some idea to replace a bad wheel bearing if that’s it

Tester.

Wow… $400

Ok…so I just leaned into tightening the lug nuts and they seemed to be very slightly loose (all of them). But when I turned the car on and started backing out to test it to see if the noise was still there it made a couple of popping noises…did I do something wrong?

I don’t think so. Try retightening the lug nuts. I assume you’re using the wrench that comes with the car, i.e., 9-10 inches long. It’s basically impossible to overtighten using this.

I had to make a second account because I hit my limit of replies apprantly… I made a video of the noise, please listen close!

Did everybody go to bed? I’m kind of freaking out and don’t know if I should go to work tomorrow…

To the original poster: by making a second screen name the system will automatically flag your posts until a moderator can combine them. The general opinion seems to be that you need to have this vehicle looked at by a shop. You said you have family nearby so see if someone can give you a ride to work or follow you to a shop. You really don’t want to risk having a wheel fall off.

3 Likes

The classic symptom of a bad wheel bearing is a growling sound that gets louder the faster you go. Your symptoms don’t really match up to that. Could be a wheel bearing tho. You’d need a shop to confirm/deny. One idea, sometimes a small rock or pebble will bounce up from the road and lodge in the wheel or brakes. That can make a grinding noise that’s intermittent. Removing the wheels and shaking them, listening for rattling sounds might turn up something. Likewise moving the wheels around to different positions. A shop can inspect the brakes for something wrong there, like worn out pads allowing the warning tab to make a grinding noise warning that the pads need replacing.

Other ideas

• Look at both the outside & inside sidewalls of all the tires for any scraping marks.
  • Now look at the tread on the tires. Any signs of tire damage at all, or worn out tires, unusual wear patterns?
  • Can you hear the noise when parked just by by rev’ing the engine?
  • Do some experiments to see if the sound varies by going faster, going slower, accelerating, in gear vs. coasting in neutral, brakes applied vs no brakes, turning right or left vs going straight, etc.
  • Test if the sound changes at a given speed in different gears.
  • Do a test where you come to a full stop then turn sharply to the right during slow speed acceleration. Same thing, but this time turn sharply to the left after a stop sign. Any grinding or clicking noises?

@volvo_v70 is correct - by re registering, the forum software mistook it for behavior frequently used by spammers. I cleared the flags and you should be good to go

I suggest you stop posting and head for a garage. They will answer all your questions and give you your requested cost to repair. Peace of mind and safety have no price. Go!!!

So it ended up being my slip disk came loose and was banging against my tire and metal. So glad it wasn’t my wheel bearing! Thank you guys so much for all your help!

From the banging noise in the video it sounds like the brake caliper came loose/unbolted. How long ago was the brake work?

I can’t envision what part in the vicinity of the wheel that would be. Some clarification?

I actually don’t exactly know. I pulled into the express lube and the guy
below instantly saw that it was undone. It had to have been close enough to
the wheel to bang against it

I don’t know what a “slip disk” is

But it sounds like we could be talking about a loose plastic inner fender liner

That could certainly bang against the tire and cause a grinding noise

That’s something that would be very obvious, with the car up on the lift

Are you by chance talking about a brake rotor shield?

OP, I also suggest you read up on the issues involved in raising a car or part of it off the ground. People die every year when a car falls off a jack on them.

When you start talking costs of failures, there are failures that could involve flying off the road and wiping out a kindergarten. :smiley: