Health Hazard from Automobile Exhaust Gas in City Streets, Garages and Repair Shops, J. A. M. A. 81: 385 (Aug. 4) 1923

An article from JAMA 1923 recently republished: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2809432

Remember as a kid being advised not to eat berries along a roadway due to lead from gasoline exhaust from cars.

25 years earlier they would be studying the effects of horse feces being kicked into the air and dragged into homes. Huge bio hazard. The car was hailed as a solution to that pollution… and it was. But it created its own issues.

Watch any old movie’s or TV show’s scenes with cars - trail of smoke coming out of many of them.

I can smell vintage cars in traffic 2 to 5 cars ahead of me. Same for de-catted cars!

1 Like

Same here, followed a '72 Vette for a while, thought I was back in high school!

2 Likes

I love the smell of partially burned hydrocarbons in the morning!

Actually, anytime is good. :grinning:

It’s so rare now, it sticks out like a sore thumb. But back in the day when they all did it, it was more annoying. Same with cigarette smoke coming from cars up ahead but I still find that annoying!

2 Likes

Agree. I tend to look around when I smell ciggies at a stoplight to see who it is.

So it took 50 years, until the 1970’s before the “evil” EPA and Big Government politicians, realized that it was probably a good idea for manufacturers to stop poisoning the general public but now, even 50 years later, we still have people whining about polution controls/MPG minimums, wanting to remove their cat converters and wanting to "Roll CoaL’

Make’s you wonder about some folks ability to learn from the past.

It’s probably me. :grinning:

2 Likes

With recreational marijuana now legal in my city there’s another ciggy odor that’s become common on the road.

Also, a dark stain down the middle of each lane from road draft tubes.

1 Like