Headlights for 2012 Sonata

I don’t know how I made the mistake, but I need H7, not the H11. Unfortunately, I ordered the H11 and when they arrived, realized that they don’t fit. I hope Amazon takes them back. :unamused:

Do you not realize that you could take a bulb to a local parts store and they would match it for you?

As long as you are within the 30 day return window, Amazon will take them back. I’ve returned six items over the past six months. No problem.

I installed the new lights. I then drove the car at night and I could not tell the difference. The bulbs that were in the car were original equipment quality and probably were the ones that were originally installed in my 2012 car. The new bulbs I used were Philips Vision Plus, which are advertised as having up to 60% more vision. Is there something else that might be causing the lights to be dim, besides the bulbs? I was extremely careful when installing these, I do not believe my problem has anything to do with my installation.

You are probably right. Fact is, many cars have not-so-good headlight performance. The IIHS (Insurance Industry for Highway Safety) tests many aspects of car performance. For the 2020 model year, they say about 20% of the models have good headlights; about 50% have marginal or poor. Your car may be among the many 2012 models that had marginal or poor headlights.

Consumer Reports, if I recall correctly, reported on headlight performance for a while a few years back, but no longer. Too bad. There’s a wide disparity. An increasingly older driving population means good headlights are becoming more important than ever.

Have the headlights ever had the aim adjusted?

Just because I’m old enough to be sure to ask the examiner about night vision issues, and there are far more flashlights in my house now than ever before, I’m suggesting you think about whether your vision is changing.

1 Like

I guess everybody’s vision is changing?

Tester

That is a very good question. No they haven’t and it does seem that they both point down a little too much. Is this something I can possibly adjust myself?

I’m sure that my night vision isn’t wasn’t it used to be. My younger wife agrees that the lights are not strong enough. So do other adults about the same age or older, so that doesn’t help. We all agree that the lights on our 2016 Sonata are much, much better.

It’s usually not too hard, although enough clearance to reach the adjusting screw can sometimes be a challenge. Look online for tutorials or videos. The whole procedure involves marking the actual height of the headlamp assembly on a wall, then backing up an appropriate distance and adjusting the beam so it is slightly below that mark. I usually go back at least 20 feet for a rough adjustment. Up and down is adjustable, left to right not so much. As long as you can see the road better and oncoming drivers don’t complain about the brightness you’re probably pretty close. Paying someone to do it is also an option and probably not very expensive.

http://www.hyundaimanuals.org/hyundai-598.html

Tester

The headlights could be misaimed. I will point out, however, that I had suggested that you get Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs, which I know from experience to be brighter than anything I’ve ever used. I have no clue about these Philips bulbs.

The test doesn’t cost you anything more than your time. Find a flat parking pad with a wall and have at it. My experience on a 2009 and 2010 Cobalt is that it may well not make any difference. There is a baffle on the top of the headlight assembly that cuts off the light so that it won’t shine into oncoming driver’s eyes. That also reduces the distance light is projected. You could look at replacement headlight assemblies, but the light projection capabilities might not be any different.

I agree that getting your headlight aim adjusted is a reasonable next step.

I after that they are still too dim I’ll reluctantly suggest what I did with my Tucson, which also uses H7 bulbs.
I tried the Vision Plus bulbs too, with no joy.
Why reluctant?
Because there are some on here that are intolerant of the concept of retrofit LEDs, and may go on attack.
LED replacements have come a long way in the last few years.

I can say from personal experience the LED bulbs (and adapter) below are substantially brighter than any halogen bulb AND retain a good beam pattern that won’t annoy or blind oncoming traffic.
For more details please send me a private message.

Everyone who rides in my car is just as old as I am.