Have tires prices increased?

Yeah I hate that. Several years ago when the shop went to tablets and video inspections I eliminated the “pass all” option. Either do the inspection properly or don’t do it at all.

With our previous MPI system, when I select “Pass” for brake fluid, the report states “We topped off your brake fluid”. I don’t want the customer to think I add something to the brake fluid reservoir.

$325 for z-rated tire, including tax and labor, that doesn’t seem out of line. You could have probably gotten a discount if you had purchased 2 or 4.

As far as tire price hikes, I paid $145 3 years ago for a tire that is priced $195 now. What’s that, around 10% increase per year? More or less in line with Covid-era price inflation.

That’s just poor programming.

I always fill my windshield washer fluid before taking my vehicles in, why? Because the service department will fill with water, whereas I use the WW fluid that has the ingredient that treats the windshield with a water repellent.

A good explaination of Speed Ratings from Bridgestone

According to Lexus the 2021 top speed of the is-300 143 MPH so you could theroretically go to a V rated rated tire.
On the other hand assuming that cost is an issue, you’re not planning on doing LeMans anytime soon and sheer crash survival is a consideration a T rated tire (118 MPH max) or an H rated tire (130 MPH max) may be much less expensive to buy and may offer additional benefits like longer wear, improved comfort and better bad weather performance.

For example my car came equiped with Z rated Continentials that lasted about 15,000 miles but were replaced by ZR rated General tires (also owned by Continental) which were 2/3rd’s the cost, lasted 40,000 miles and performed just as well in normal/sane driving.

Tire Rack has nothing ‘slower’ than an H rating for those tires. 35 series tires typically don’t come in S or T ratings.

edit - I saw that the H rated tires weren’t the cheapest, either. So I’d just go to Tire Rack, put in your car model, and see what the least expensive set of name brand tires it comes up with that meet spec for your car.

1 Like