Have tires prices increased?

After installing the new tire this week, all 4 tires will be like new. However, once they’re worn out, I’ll give your recommendation a thought.

Thank you.

That tire size is for the rear tires. Tire Rack prices almost all of those at over $200 just for the tire. Add mounting, balancing and alignment and it could easily cost $345.

1 Like

Yes. That’s what the guys at the shop told me.

Among other factors tire prices go up and down with the price of oil. You don’t always get to choose when to replace tires, and if awd, replace all four.

I got 3 brand new tires last year. Does this mean I need to replace all just because one needs to be replaced ?

It all depends on the amount of tread remaining on those 3 tires. A knowledgeable and honest tire shop can tell you if you are at the point of needing to buy 4 tires.

But, as someone previously mentioned, it is also possible to “shave” the tread of the new tire so that it essentially matches the tread depth on the other three. The problem with that approach is that not many tire dealers will have the tread shaved for you.

That’s a dealer question. Depends on the mileage. I was ok with only 1500 miles on one.

Lexus offers road hazard insurance for its customers. We replace 5 to 10 damaged tires each day and I have never seen any customers pressured into buying 3 more tires when one needs to be replaced.

Your car has 225/40ZR18 in the front and 255/35ZR18 in the rear, so they are not a perfect match from the factory.

Now I’m confused. You posted that you replaced one tire last year due to an unrepairable puncture. Now you say this?

To answer your title question, yes. I bought 4 new tires for my truck recently, $210 ea, was only $132 a few months earlier.

Unless otherwise specified in our owners manual, as a general rule with AWD, if the other tires are within 2/32" of new tread depth, then you can just replace one.

Two front tires were replaced last year. Then one of the rear ( left side ) got punctured beyond repair and was replaced last year as well. Now the right rear tire got prematurely worn and needs to be replaced.

Premature? How many miles are on that tire? Age?

That’s a good question. I wouldn’t know how many miles were on it. But according to the shop when I replaced the left rear tire, the right rear tire didn’t need to be replaced. So I guess it had enough tread on it at the time. To me, it felt great. Lots of tread. But yesterday out of curiosity I decided to check all 4 tires with my fingers and was shocked to find the right rear tire almost bald.

Some have stated that if the tire wore out prematurely, the vehicle may need a repair to correct the problem, but if there was 40,000 to 50,000 miles on that tire, that is the reason it is worn out.

1 Like

I’m going to mention this to the dealer to see if there is an issue. I do think something is wrong. Just 4 months ago Toyota said that tire tread was 7/12 So for it to be 3/12 now got to be a problem.

And I drive 9,000 miles annually.

The technician glanced at the tires, saw new tires and did not measure each one.

Funny you said that. That’s what my family told me too. I also intentionally went to Toyota with empty wiper fluid to see if they would refill it. On the check list, they noted that they found my wiper fluid empty and that they refilled it. But that was not true. They didht refill it.

Then another time I went back with full wiper fluid, and they noted that they found my wiper fluid empty and that they refilled it. Again, bogus.

So you could be right about the tires.

Darn it. I reply to a thread about tire prices this morning, and on the way to work I get a flat tire. Tire not repairable, all tires at 4/32-5/32". So 4 new tires today!

205/60R16 are only $100 each though.

Ahh. Sorry about that pal. What a coincidence. At least you are alive and safe :+1:

1 Like

That is an automatic statement created by the MPI system when the technician selects “pass all inspection points”. He overlooked the empty reservoir but the inspection system always states that the washer fluid was refilled.

1 Like