Hatchback comparisons

The AWD option on the Matrix/Vibe really didn’t raise the ride height any from what I can find out, for the folks who wanted a little better snow traction from a Toyota. Closer to the Fit than the Outbacks. There’s also the Subaru Impreza Outback sport which is the Impreza with the outback-style suspension.

If you’re not planning much offroad, then a fwd with winter tires (not all season) could work, if you’re a bit careful. I used a VW GTI for 12 years in Anchorage, with no problems. But we had a Cherokee for the trips out of town.

And if you get an xB, get the more recent one, the first model was a very light body and small engine.

For a $10k budget, maybe a fwd with an extra set of winter tires would get you the most reliable transportation.

But then don’t worry too much about ground clearance, don’t put yourself in a situation where that’s an issue.

I have been very pleased with my Toyota Matrix. There might be bargains out there on a Pontiac Vibe- same car essentially- with Toyota Corolla drive train so you know parts availability will not be a problem. Most are FWD but AWD was an option.

Yeah I’ve been there. While it is a college town, I think if you live in the area, you tend to explore outside the city, not just stay in it. If you don’t enjoy the outdoors when you get there, you will after living there a while.

I agree aboit the xD. It feels a lot roomier than the Yaris. Not especially pretty inside or out, but very practical. I liked the xA, too. Though it was a bit smaller, it was still big enough for full-size adults. The current xB is an oddity, a really big hatchback/wagon (not sure what to call it). I think it’s a shame it has sold so poorly because it’s a great size for a family car. We used to sometimes drive the first generation xB because Zipcar had some. That was a weird little vehicle that looked tiny outside, but was surprisingly roomy inside. Not huge like the current xB, more like the Fit, another confoundingly roomy car.

The Fit has ground clearance typical of very small cars (not a whole lot). The Matrix/Vibe definitely sit up higher, though probably not as much as an Outback. I suspect that little bit of extra clearance would be nice on unplowed streets with a modest amount of snow on them, but that’s about it. They were definitely not intended to be off-road vehicles. Not that the Outback really is, either, or any other Subie. I like the Forester better than the Outback. It’s just about as roomy (not as long, but taller) and costs less. Excellent visibility, too. In the past Subaru had some major reliability problems, but they seem to be doing better. Consumer Reports praises them highly. I wish they had a bit more style and nicer interiors, but those are features Subaru has never offered. At least the recent models aren’t as weird as their cars of the seventies were. The current Impreza is positively normal and could be anything.

I’ve explored most of the western US my whole life without ever having or feeling the need for an offroad vehicle. Sure, I’m never going to do thr Rubicon Trail or explore old mining areas in Colorado, but I can go to most places just fine in an ordinary car. For half my life there wasn’t much else around except a few battered Jeeps and Land Cruisers owned by eccentrics. We used to get to fairly remote Forest Service campgrounds in a full-size station wagon (though Forest Service road maintenance is worse than it was, unfortunately.) I’d be more inclined to have a car with serious offroad ability if they weren’t such lousy road cars. I’m not talking about ordinary crossovers. They’ll hardly go anywhere a car won’t go. A few poorly-maintained forest roads, most with nothing interesting down them. If I lived in Missoula I’d be perfectly happy with a passenger car. Maybe slightly happier with a little extra ground clearance, but nothing too trucky. Montana roads aren’t that bad. In winter things can get messy, but that’s when I would want nothing more than to stay warm and dry.

Thanks @MarkM‌ for all the help! Good tips and thoughts, definitely starting to clear things up for me.