Has anyone tried "BreakFree" to loosen rings

brocluno, If you had been around here for awhile, you would have seen a loot of spammers hawking things like magnets on the fuel lines and hydrogen generators under the guise of a post like yours. It just so happens that I have been familiar with Breakfree as an ordinance oil for about 40 years now. I have used it for a lot of stuff, but never thought of using it in an engine.

I hope you will understand and hang around for a while and if you do try the Breakfree on that Bronco, let us know if it works. You might be onto something.

I’ve Been Putting Off Taking All The Guns Out And Cleaning Them. After Reading About Break Free, I Spotted It While Cutting Through Wal-Mart. It’s Right In The Guns/Ammo Area. I’ll Give It A Go.

CSA

My 90 hp boat engine had poor compression in one cylinder due to carbonized rings. My boat guy recommended yamaha ring free as the best solution he had found, should work on cars too.

So I’ve been doing a bit more thinking - slow at my age … And it dawned on me that maybe all these OEM ring treatments like the Yamaha one mentioned and the Stihl chainsaw one I use occasionally for saw work, all work on the same principal?? And that is breaking up carbon and coke.

Gun guys have been doing that for decades, maybe a century, in barrel cleaning. I’m more convinced now about using gun cleaners to loosen top rings. I’m going to chase this concept for a while and see where it leads…

I work on a LOT of chainsaws with diminished compression and if I tare them down, the ring is usually gummy and stuck. I’ll try two or three “carbon fouling” gun cleaners I have and see what happens.

Thanks to those who weighed in thoughtfully. I think there is something useful here :slight_smile:

I looked the stuff up…it’s a gun cleaner! Apparently it also contains Teflon.

Since it isn’t designed or advertised for use in engines, I’m inclined to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that he’s simply trying to pass on a tip. However, I recommend strongly against using it in engines. It sin’t designed to provide a proper pressurized lubricant barrier for the sleeve bearings holding the crank up or the connecting rod from the crank, it isn;t designed to leave a proper libricant barrier on the cylinder walls after the wiper rings pass by, it just plain isn’t designed for engines.

Yeah, I get that it’s not a good lower-end lube. Not using it from the crank side. Just soaking the top ring from the plug hole. But your concerns are valid.

However the Stihl ring freeing agent is very light and not very oily, so I don’t know how well it’s supposed to lube either? It’s also not a crankcase treatment concept, just a top ring soaker from the plug hole. It’s where the idea to try this came from. The Stihl stuff is even more expensive and does not work all that well :frowning: Plus I was out, so I grabbed the next thing that I had and it worked pretty well.

We turned up the garden the next week and the compression has remained so whatever it broke up is now gone and the rings are working :slight_smile: