Harmonizing balancer put my life out of balance

My mechanics told me today that my air conditioning pulley broke causing my harmonizing balancer to break off causing possible engine damage. They can put a new balancer on but the car might not last the winter. They said that they are pretty sure it wont. this is a 1988 buick park avenue with 268,000 miles. This would cost 550 bucks

Last week my 2005 corollas timing chain broke causing engine failure. I sold it to my mechanics but they still have it. THey are telling me that if I want they can throw a new engine in it for about 3,300 bucks. But they said that that may be risky too.

What should I do. I am a broke college student and can’t afford anything under 4,000 bucks right now and not much good used cars for that amount. Please Help!!!

“Last week my 2005 corollas timing chain broke causing engine failure. I sold it to my mechanics but they still have it. THey are telling me that if I want they can throw a new engine in it for about 3,300 bucks. But they said that that may be risky too.”

How about if they throw in a USED engine for $1500 and sell you your car back for even money? Donate the Buick to them…

Well the engine that they want to throw in is actually used. It came off a car that was rear ended. They are telling me that it’ll cost $3,300 though. I think I will have them try and find an engine that is cheaper?? Not sure The more miles the engine has the cheaper itll be. The one they found has 26,000 miles on it right now. Thank you so much for your reply!

$3300 installed, for a 26,000 mile engine isn’t a bad deal. It isn’t risky, as long as they check out the engine before they install it. Put the engine in the Corolla and push the Buick over a cliff.

Ahahah. I loved that buick. I drove it for 10 years and it never gave me a problem until now. I am kind of sad to get rid of it. Very sad. But, all things die eventually.

Your mechanics are milking you like a cow…

http://market.autopartsfair.com/toyota-used_engines/corolla-2005-catalog.html?campaign=autoguide

so are those engines priced before labor? I am assuming they are charging me so much mainly because of the labor. I don’t know. If an engine is about 1300 bucks then with the cost of labor does it seem tooo much to be 3300 then altogether?

Sounds like the mechanic is trying to “flip” the Corolla and in the process make some profit. He is also charging you for the labor as he does this.

Would they resell the Corolla for the same price? If that is an option then I will have it towed to a decent shop.