Guttural Noise when Accelerating - Camry

Some years ago I road tested a 2008 Camry that belonged to the used car department where I work, I was surprised at the amount of induction noise from the engine. I wouldn’t waste my money trying to silence it, I didn’t find it very irritating.

Same here the noise started but not as loud, then I thought maybe I had a vacuum leak, so I had the dealer check the vacuum system. Then maybe about a 2 months after the noise started that’s when randomly it shut off but restarted with no problem it I didn’t think nothing about it, then week went by and it shut off again and it went on like that every once in a while. Then, I noticed that every time I would slow to a stop it would shut off more often. I took out the throttle body and cleaned it all up myself and it seemed it did good for a couple of weeks, then after that it started shutting off all the time. So after I shut off tube radio and ac that’s when I started noticing that noise louder and louder and it would shut off, but not a the time the noise would sound after start up and when the noise was not on it would run good. But it’s definitely loud now. So far I haven’t heard anything so the weekend is here and I won’t find out until next week. But I will keep you updated.

i took the same steps as you. cleaned the throttle body checked for leaks and nothing. that’s when i took it to my mechanic see if he could figure it out. he checked the fuel pump pressure and all the sensors throttle body and leaks just to make sure, told me everything was fine. he told me it might be something electric to take it to an electrician. electrical problems are the worst to detect. specially with no check engine light to scan. ive read online that using mobil 1 motor oil reduces the noise. 0w20 full synthetic i believe. might give that a go today see what happens.

UPDATE: turns out it was the timing chain and assembly. had it replaced and fixed the noise and stall. it was 750 for parts and labor.

So, they changed out the crank sensor and notice it had metal shaving on the tip, they drained the oil and they found metal shaving on it (very fine). So they took the engine apart and it needs the crank replace and bearing. So that’s what they found!

dealing with engine relate problems is always hard to pinpoint since there are so many components that can fail. at least you know what it is now and its getting fixed. hope they give you some kind of warranty after the repair.

Crank sensor for stalling… yes that makes sense. Sorry to hear, ecoronel. What is your next move?

True but it’s costly, so for diagnostics they charged me $260. With parts / labor. To repair/replace is $800. So it’s going to have to wait a bit. When you get the oils change on your car get a magnet and run the oil through it. That’s how they detected all the metal.