GRRRRR....Honda Civic

Just so you all have all the details, This is exactly what it’s doing: it starts up ok, then when I start moving slowly and it goes into the 3rd gear, the car starts shaking. It’s an automatic, but I drove a stick and it’s almost like when you get the jerking from letting the clutch out too fast without giving it enough gas, if that makes sense. It only happens when I hear it going into the 3rd gear slowly, like in heavy city traffic. If I just pull out quickly, it either isn’t happening or isn’t noticeable. I drove it with the mechanic in the passenger seat and he quickly said it was a misfire, then they sent it back to the honda place, who chamged a spark plug and sent it back to my dealer. I don’t see where any trans fluid or anything has ever been changed in the service records.
I really appreciate all the input :slight_smile:

I don’t know how many forward speeds a 2007 Honda automatic transmission has, but by 3rd gear are you refering to the highest gear? The reason I say this is that I wonder if it is the lock-up feature of the torque converter that is causing the problem.

And this all comes a day after having a ‘short block’ replaced because of a defect that was under warranty. It’s been in the shop for about 10
Days…this started when I got it back.

I hear it go from 1st to 2nd, then the next time it changes gear is when I hear it…

It’s not the highest, there’s one or two more gear changes after that when I get up to highway speeds…

This might be the torque converter locking up. Which is normal. Well, normal if you have a locking type torque converter, which you probably do. Ask your mechanic. It’s called torque shudder or something like that. Read the following or torque converter shudder and diagnosis, might be of help.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/203

GeorgeSanJose may be right. I assumed the car had to be in top gear before the converter would lock up, but that may not be true. On some cars, the lockup feature can be deactivated by disconnecting a wire. The mechanic may want to try this to see if it is a problem in the torque converter. However, this is not a fix. You need that feature for top gas mileage.

Ok, that is something I will definitely ask about, I’m going to call them in the morning and see what they say to do… If it is the torque converter thing, am I looking at major bucks? I’m not cheap, but I’m not trying to get taken advantage of either.

This should be a problem that is covered under the warranty you described. It is possible that when the engine was replaced, the torque converter was not installed properly. It attaches directly to the engine.

And a certain amount of torque converter lock up shudder is normal. No repair is required. Maybe ask to test-drive another similar car on their lot w/an auto xmission. You may find it does the same thing. Best of luck LeahRuth.

Well, turns out it is the torque converter, and it’s bad enough they said it needs replaced. I spoke to the sales manager since I believe one of two things has happened. Either it was going bad when I bought the car, or it was damaged when the Honda dealership was replacing the engine block. It wasn’t doing this until the day I got the car back from that. They gave me an estimate of $1100, of which my dealer will cover half because of their 30 day warranty, but The service manager felt, as do I, that I got sold a car that wasn’t really worth the $13000 I paid for it, and suggested i go back to the sales people to see what could be done. I spoke with the sales manager who is going to take the car back to Honda personally tomorrow and ‘try to work something out’. They gave me a loaner car and promised to make things right. Please keep your fingers crossed for me! Any input is appreciated :slight_smile:

You’re Doing GRRRRReat, So Far. Keep At It.
CSA

I have to say LeahRuth that your dealer is really doing their best to make it right by you. I hope they get your car fixed straight-away and that next time you buy a car, buy it from them, or at least give them a chance. And be sure to tell the manager there why customer service is so important both to the customer and to the dealership.

I absolutely believe they are doing their best to make it right. I had heard good things about them before I bought. I really don’t believe they intentionally sold a bum car and are going above and beyond what they have to do. It’s been a frustrating situation, but they’ve been great through it all. Hopefully once this gets straightened out, I’ll have no more trouble for a little while.

If after 5 days it doesn’t improve, than you can assume it isn’t a learning process at work here. It may just be a need for new sparkplugs. When you accelerate very slowly, if the engine has insufficient oomph when it shifts to third due to old plugs, it may be lugging…exctly as what happens in the manual tranny analogy you provided (well done, by the way).

I would persue it as long as you’re under the warranty. If it was a sparkplug, that would have suggested to me that the entire set needed changing as well as the filters. Your car doesn;t have points, distributor, or any of that ignition stuff, but what it does have still gets old. So you may just need a modern “tuneup”.

@the same mountainbike
Yesterday, LeahRuth Said, " Well, turns out it is the torque converter, and it’s bad enough they said it needs replaced. "

CSA

Thanks CSA. I missed that post.

CSA, while the torque converter turned out to be bad, I do agree with SMB that all the plugs should have been changed, and I’ll bet that you do too.

Keith, " CSA, while the torque converter turned out to be bad, I do agree with SMB that all the plugs should have been changed, and I’ll bet that you do too. "

You bet correctly. Had this been a normal manufacturer’s warranty repair (short block) then the customer would have been advised that the purchase of new plugs was highly recommended.
Since it’s a used car dealer’s warranty it gets a little touchy (fix it economically and not try and sell anything to an already inconvenienced customer).

However, it could have behooved the dealer to throw in all new plugs even if it was a case of CYA.
Why not seize the opportunity to eleminate another potential inconvenience (and added dealer expense) should a problem arise ? The technician was probably following instructions, but a little better communications and common sense should have resulted in new plugs, gratis.

CSA

The engine was actually covered under an extended Honda warranty because of a TSB on the short block. I was covered under the dealers warranty as well though, so I do think they should have at least advised me about that. I don’t like to think this, but I really do believe there is the gender issue at play a little bit. I’ve felt like I get the dumbed down version of things at times, the most basic info, and when I’ve asked a detailed question they seem kind of surprised that I know as much as i do. It might just be me, but I bet they don’t pat dudes on the back and say, don’t you worry, sweetheart…a spark plug will fix you right up…lol