GRRRRR....Honda Civic

I think some miscommunication or just a lack of communication is the big problem here…my dealership is not a Honda dealership. They had to take it across town to have it worked on under Honda’s warranty. So I don’t know if it’s that the Honda shop didn’t tell my dealers or if my dealers didn’t tell me, but I know no one ever recommended anything other than the one spark plug…

LeahRuth, don’t kick yourself too hard, you have approached this as a business deal and that is the best way, and you have been doing pretty good. Men who are not mechanics are treated as “dudes” and get the same treatment as women. They really are equal opportunity abusers or good guys, depending on their personality. It is not an “all mechanics take advantage of women” thing.

Your dealer is treating you as a customer, which is to make the most money possible within their moral compass, or their need to maintain their reputation. I don’t don’t think that you could do any better if you had more hair on your chest (I hope that doesn’t sound sexist, not that I am trying to be PC, its just that when I’m unPC, I want it to be on purpose and not accidental).

Spark plugs are normal wear and tear items and would not be covered under a warrantee, same as brakes and oil etc. Changing them should be on your dime, but again, good communication is the key. Keep up the good work.

Trust me, they treat men the same way except for the “sweetheart”. I go nuts when one of them tries to give me a “song & dance”.

LeahRuth, your problem – or at least the solution – is quite unusual, at least as reported here. I’ve never heard of a short block replacement ever being reported here as a solution to a cracked block. If there is a such a problem, what I hear reported here time after time is that the solution is a a total engine replacement. Usually the engine is exhanged for an assembly line rebuilt engine, and the old engine is sent to the same ass’y line to itself be rebuilt for somebody else to use. So you are sort of breaking some new ground here, and it’s not surprising there are some hiccups along the way.

This is the TSB and repair that my car fell under.
http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php?attachment is=116191&d=1269292601
The Honda mechanics did only what this called for.
My dealership has been great. This evening, the general manager called and assured me that everything is going to be taken care of and made right, between my dealership, the Honda service shop, and Honda itself. I realize sometimes buying a used car is a gamble, but everyone involved seems to think that for the price I paid, it was reasonable to expect a car without major defects. While I fully realize they aren’t required by law to do anything for me, I am grateful that they have. They have also gained me as a customer for life probably, and I will recommend them to everyone I know :slight_smile:

Sorry, here’s the correct link:
http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=116191&d=1269292601

Just a follow up…I got my car back yesterday! It’s running great, so far. Thanks for all your advice, guys!

@LeahRuth as a matter of fact, Honda extended the warranty on that engine because of the cracked block.