Growling Tranny

My wife and I recently moved to Panama and we bought a 4 wheel drive 2007 Nissan Frontera diesel pick-up. Great little truck so far, 27 miles per/gal! However, the 5 speed manual transmission has started making a loud whine or growl under power. Down hill, gas pedal up, no noise. Clutch in, no noise. Gas pedal down, growling .Growl is related to ground speed as it stays the same when I shift gears. Not so sure how to find a good mechanic down here, so any ideas on the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and Feliz Navidad,
Panchoinpanama

Are you in 4wd or 2wd? Transfer case locked or unlocked? Level and condition of all fluids has been checked?

Sounds like differential noise. I would bet its ring and pinion bearings in axle housing.

Wow, thanks for the imediate response! Nothing happens that fast down here. I’ve been laying in the mud trying to get the pugs out of the transmisssion to check the fulid levelusing a jack on a 1/2 inch ratchet, (it’s really tight) and it keeps sinking in the mud. On an Frontier do the transfer case and transmission share fluid or is there a seperate plug? It’s Christmas Eve and the ants are eating me up, and I need to cut some banana leaves so my wonderful wife can make banana leaf tamales for Christmas dinner. The growl is consistant in 2wd high, 4wd high, and 4wd low, hubs in or out. Hadn’t considered differential. Tomorrow I’ll have my wife drive while I’m in the bed and try to locate the area of noise.
Again, Thanks to you guys for the quick response. I can’t tell you how much it means when you’re in the middle of nowhere and things are going bad!
Merry Christmas, Panchoinpanama