Grounding An Aftermarket Stereo in a Nissan Versa 1.8S- 2008

Hi!

I bought a Kenwood KDC-MP342U to replace the stock radio in my 2008 Versa Hatchback (1.8 S- power doors/windows/mirrors).

After quite a headache trying to get it (professionally) installed (installer connected the wrong antenna wire- I got no reception), I got it working fairly well. The one problem I have is that I don’t think I grounded the unit sufficiently (I still get intermittent static). The original stereo was self-grounding, as it was in a metal case in a metal chassis.

Right now, the black grounding wire from the Kenwood unit is connected to the top right screw that screws the chassis into the (plastic) frame of the dash. The screw is metal, but the chassis is plastic. I spent close to an hour to find some metal to attach the wire to inside the dash, but virtually everything in there is plastic. Having contacted Kenwood directly, they said that the Versa has to have a black ground wire somewhere in the dash (especially since the dash is mostly plastic parts). I searched and searched and could find no grounding wire anywhere in the dash. The metal I DO see, I can’t reach. I see that behind the right air-vent/duct in the center console of the dash, is a metal frame, but I don’t know how to access it, and don’t want to damage the vent by trying to remove it incorrectly.

I’m at my wits end. How do I safely, effectively and securely ground my Kenwood unit to the metal frame of my Nissan Versa?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Extend the ground wire by crimping it with butt connectors (bought at any Pep boys) to another wire of the same thickness or greater. Make it long enough to attach to the firewall, which has to be metal. Or it’s even better to extend the current wire by soldering it to the other wire.