Green Oil

I was wondering if G-OIL is actually safe for my auto, or any car for that manner. The oil is made by Green Earth Technologies and is organic in nature (of course). Now like everyone in the nation I’m trying to do my part to protect the environment, but I’m apprehensive about using this in my 2003 Volvo S60 Turbo. Seems too good to be true.

If it has been certified by API, and has the correct API codes as specified for your Volvo, I’d accept it. If it does not, pass. Your engine is a very expensive (to you) test lab for someone else’s experiment.

It would be interesting to hear why they say it is “Green”

According to the web site I found it “Exceeds requirements of API SM…” and “…is made from American grown base oils…”*

I don’t know if I would use it in my car though. I can’t find any place to order and I can’t find any pricing. Pricing would be a big factor.

Why not just use a trusted full synthetic and not worry? You could argue that synthetics are better for the environment because you don’t need to change your oil as often. And you can tell yourself that the 4-6 quarts of synthetic oil in your engine didn’t help build another Saudi palace. I wouldn’t use “G-OIL”. Go buy some Mobil 1 or whatever full synthetic suits your fancy and feel good about it.

Supposedly they’re making motor oil from cow fat, that when you mix it with their disposeoil product biodegrades in a matter of days.

I don’t really want to dismiss it outright, but there’s a lot about their organization that really sets off my BS alarm. What’s my first real red flag is the fact that every single piece of information I’ve been able to find on the internet seems to have a press-release from the company as a source and their claim of meeting the API standard seems to come from a test they commissioned and there’s nothing published. I am also very skeptical of the claim that they can make an oil out of animal fat that would be anywhere close to competitive cost-wise with petroleum-based oil. Not to mention the environmental impacts of raising cattle are probably far worse than that of oil production.

Also, even more suspiciously, you don’t seem to be able to buy their 4-stroke motor oil or the stuff you use to biodegrade it anywhere! I haven’t checked local retailers, but online all you can buy is the carwash stuff and the 2-stroke oil.(BTW, 2-stroke oil is often made from organic sources anyways, as are cleaners). This and the fact that their website is actively soliciting investors and that their technology is “patent pending” really makes me very suspicious.

But I don’t know, if you can buy it and it is actually certified by the API it should probably be okay. Although another thing I’ll point out is that even if the oil itself is biodegradable, that doesn’t mean that the contaminants that are in your used oil will be safe to just pour down the drain or on the lawn so really you’ll have to dispose of it just like any other motor oil.

Very good point.

Here’s one more reason not to be a guinea pig (especially with a turbo, I’d never consider it): Motor oils are not a major user of crude - not like you burn it (hopefully!), and even used, it’s normally recycled, so you’re not doing much ‘green’ by using this risky oil.

It’s out of warranty; you can do anything you want. But I’d use whatever oil Volvo recommends.

. . . is made from American GROWN base oils . . . how does one grow oil? If I were you I’d stick with the oil suggested by Volvo to protect the engine & turbo, change it and the filter regularly, and RECYCLE your used oil. You can’t be any more green than taking the old oil to someone who will recycle it for re-use. Rocketman