Green Key Light - 2010 Honda Accord - next step?

Struggling with the green key light on my daughter’s car and not sure what to do next.

One day she came home and said her car struggled to start. I checked the battery and noticed it was low and replaced it.

When I went to start it, I noticed the green key light flash on and it still struggled to start. But after 2-3 tries it did.

I have 1 original key and a valet key.

Tried the valet key and it immediately started. Thought problem had been narrowed down to the key. Next day, both keys would not start the car.

I have a ThinkDiag tool so I used it to reprogram the original key. It worked for about half a day.

This week I had a new key cut. Programmed it. It started right now.

Today I tried to start it using the new key and it would not start. No green key light.

I tried the original key….would not start until about the 5th try. I then tried the new key and it started on the first try. Again, no green light at all today but the car acted the same way….it tried starting but would not turn over.

Any ideas besides a trip to the dealership? Thanks.

Why did you start a new thread about the same problem as the one you started 5 days ago ?

1 Like

Call an automotive lock smith company, they can sell you and program you a new key…

Because that thread was about a code that has nothing to do with the key

1 Like

Did you replace the throttle body? The PCM won’t allow the engine to crank unless the throttle blade is positioned correctly.

1 Like

Are you sure about that? Did you fix the P2118 code? Or did you shift your search to the key?

If you haven’t replaced the throttle body, I’d say that is still causing your intermittant key problem.

2 Likes

Yes, I replaced the throttle body and reset the codes and relearned the throttle body position.

The check engine light hasn’t been back on.

1 Like

If you had given us a follow up letting us know that was taken care of on your other thread, then it would have not been mentioned on this thread… Remember, none of us having working crystal balls on here and we only know the last info given…

What?

You don’t have any of this equipment?

Tester

1 Like

Explain. Do you mean the engine cranked robustly, but wouldn’t catch and run? Or do you mean it was cranking slower than usual. Or do you mean it cranked robustly as usual but the cranking took longer than normal to catch and run? I’ve no experience with the electronic keys, but if not a key problem other common possibilities are the starter motor, ignition switch, ignition module, and alternator. Needing to replace the starter motor on a 24 year old daily-driver car wouldn’t be unusual.