'KOAT-TV in Albuquerque reports (http://goo.gl/XW49wH) that some
trucks transporting green chile are dropping peels in Albuquerque’s
South Valley. Residents say the peels are sloshing and are spilling
out of the trucks and onto roads.

‘Drivers say one intersection even is covered in green chile.’

‘Andres Garcia says the wet peels are dangerous. He told KOAT-TV he
recently had to hit his brakes at a stop sign because his truck kept
sliding.’

Wasting good green chiles should be a felony.

2 Likes

And the peels are removed after being roasted then steamed. They are my favorite green chiles! I also like the milder Anaheim chiles.

This story actually reminded me that I need to order my batch for the year.

I could care less. I don’t like them. Wet leaves around here in the fall do the same thing. I’m not sure how you slam on the brakes though to get a truck from sliding? More like brake lightly to prevent the wheels from locking up. He’d never make it in Minnesota.

Bing-Maybe this is the same guy who last winter said he could not stop on the snow and was pulling on the emergency brake as hard as he could.

In a former locale I lived the was a river running parallel to the main road. Lots of curves and bends in both. At one spot it turns close to 180 degrees, a horseshoe bend. 18 wheelers delivering heavy products, like watermelons and cantaloupes, tended to have some trouble making that bend successfully. Especially this time of year, it wasn’t uncommon to hear from a neighbor “hurry, there’s cantaloupes floating down the river”. Then we’d head for the river for free cantaloupe … lol …

1 Like

Here in OK some years ago a semi overturned and dumped its load all over. Every law enforcement officer from miles around showed up to keep people away from the contents of that one.

It was a truck full of artillery shells from the McAlester, OK Army Ammunition Plant…

This reminds me of my childhood and eating my fill of peas on the front porch in the late 50s.

We lived where there was large farm down the road. When they harvested, all the trucks had to come down our road.
At the stop sign by our house the trucks would pause for all of us kids to each pull down a pea vine. Then we’d head for the porch and eat our plunder and watch for the next truck to head up the road. By 1959 my dad had built our new house, but I still remember that scene at 4-5 years old.

Yosemite

Yeah, that brings back memories. We had the canning factory nearby. There would be the pea pack and the corn pack seasons. They brought in crews from Jamaica or Chicago to pick the corn and they’d come riding back on top of a truck load of sweat corn. We yell at them and they’d throw corn at us. Then we’d sell the corn door to door for about 75 cents a dozen. We actually made pretty good money and had regular customers. Then they automated the corn picking and pretty much put us out of business. On their off hours the crews would walk up town to shop and we’d talk to them. The Jamaicans were pretty easy going but those Chicago boys were pretty rough. Every one of them claimed they carried a switch blade just in case.

Imagine that, having to hit your brakes at a stop sign, that’s ridiculous. :confounded:
And just how would that stop you from sliding?? Or am I just missing something?

All the grocery stores are roasting chilis now out front of the stores ( can’t have the propane nor open flame combustion inside. )
So now, as you roll into Wal Mart the aroma is inviting and you can see the rotating cages and hear the roar of the flames as you enter and leave.
Buy 'em buy the gunny sack full and send some to my far away family who’re having chili withdrawals up in Olympia Wa. and Port Charlotte Fl.

We used to have a train roll nearby the cabins called the blueberry special. Evidently in the olden days hobos would ride in the car and throw off jars of blueberry preserves going south from Canada to people they saw along the way.