Great gas mileage beater for paper delivery business

sgtrock21 do the Metros have a history of rusting out? this sounds like my best solution. It’s a second car meant to reduce the mileage on my main vehicle., so I don’t care if it’s old. sometimes old is okay. My 99 tracker was very good with mileage, but it wasn’t easy with a 5 spd while also rolling the windows up and down manually LOL. I had great left bicep and calf muscles

Whoa whoa whoa

Pennsylvania might not be that far north, but I l used to live there, and I know you get a fair amount of snow, so rust should be an issue

Forgive me for sounding like a doubter, but I’m having a hard time seeing you get a decent vehicle for $2000. Does PA still have a safety inspection?

Metros were built cheaply, they weren’t meant to last. I wouldn’t recommend getting anything that old and unsafe. I’m sure you’re a great driver, but a Metro has very few safety features.

Do you think then I should sink that 2000 into my Tracker? I’m just worried that it’s rusting too much to bother. OR I could probably get someone to give me 500 for it and use that towards a beater… people are befriending me all the time to try to get me to sell it to them. LOL and i’m being serious it’s a little strange how people" act like they want to be friends and 1 week later it comes out …“wanna sell that thing stuck in your yard?”
Me: NO.
Them: Okay nice knowing ya.

Pennsylvania is a weird place to live.

I rented metros a couple times for my 100 mile commute and I can tell you it was no joy.

I wouldn’t put any $$ into a rusty car, sell it and add that to the $$ for the second car.

1 Like

If you aren’t using the Tracker, sell it while people are willing to buy it.

1 Like

Your present vehicle sounds pretty good for that job to me. If you want to buy an even older car that gets good mpg just for this job, an econobox from the early 90’s is probably where to look. Corolla, Civic, Tercel or Echo, etc. Avoid anything earlier than that b/c you might be buying a vehicle with an electric-operated-carburetor, which is a problem you don’t want. Stick with a car that sold in large numbers with front wheel drive and electronic fuel injection. Now that I think of it, I believe one of the posters here has said the Geo Metro from that era was a reliable and economical ride too. 3 cylinder engine with mpg’s approaching 50 as I recall.

If you sell the Tracker . . . which may be in structurally worse shape than you think . . . make it crystal clear that is being sold as is, and don’t bother you if it doesn’t pass inspection. Might even want to download a generic sales contract, perhaps your local auto club has some.

It’s been more than 10 years since I opened the hood on a Tracker and never imagined that the OP would even know what they were. That vehicle developed a cult following here that remains somewhat strong but of course we have no need to salt roads here.