GPS malfunction

Think electronics aren’t diverting the attention of drivers? That’s a perfect example.

It woudn’t surprise me if the guy ends up suing the state, the people who manufactured the barricades and signs, the company that laid the original concrete and asphalt, the GPS manufacturer, etc.

And now there are several cars under development that will drive themselves. Some of that technology has to be GPS based. Let the lawsuits begin.

At least this one gripes at poor drivers nearby. http://www.npr.org/2015/04/01/396757462/acautionarytaleaboutselfdrivingcars

“Speed” defeats the whole “idea” that objects fall at the same rate regardless of their horizontal velocity. I never knew cars and busses had lift and you could fly, if you only “floored” it. I was crushed to believe that two stars, Reeves and Bullock, were made based upon a lie. Wonder if that happens often.

Think electronics aren't diverting the attention of drivers? That's a perfect example.

Agree 100%.

I don’t consciously look for the goofs in movies @dagosa, but there are quite a few that I’ve caught. Sometimes I suppose it’s the director insisting that the actor do something his/her way.
I recently saw a movie where someone was using a ratchet to remove a bolt, but I noticed that the clicking was in the wrong direction. I presume that neither the actor or director knew how to use a ratchet.
The one I always notice always is…the blacksmith brings out a red hot piece of iron and starts to hammer on the anvil. Because I’ve done this all my life, I can tell you that the sound is never right. I think it’s the sounds added in the editing room. There is a big difference in the tone of hammering on a cold piece of iron, A hot piece, or just wailing on the anvil with a hammer.

Next time you are going to waste a few hours watching an old movie favorite, look it up on IMDB.com and they will list the flubs and goofs…sometimes good reading.

Yosemite

Many scenes are spliced-together clips from numerous takes. Movie makers hire people specifically to find errors, but it isn’t 100%. I’d bet there’s never been a movie made that didn’t have at least one mistake.

I agree that the driver certainly is at fault, however I still believe for a bridge out there should be no way to drive onto the bridge. Jersey barriers or the full upright ones need to be used so there is no way to get to the bridge without significant damage. The large upright road blocks can be easily moved to allow service equipment through.

Maybe its just me but I find those barrels and those orange pipes really disorienting. Just seems like the round nature of them or the space between or something make it an optical illusion, especially at night and hard to tell where to go.

@Yosemite
I hear you. Watching one of the old Leathal weapon series, Mel Gibson plays the first half of the movie with long hair, then does a scene or two with short, and supposidly with no significant time passing, has long hair for the rest of the movie. I wish I could make it car related, but…I will check it out IMDB.com.

Anyone remember Vanishing Point, might look for it tonight, anyway error,

“At the end of the movie the 1970 Challenger R/T that is shown crashing into the bulldozers is actually a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro at the time of impact. It’s visible for just a few frames, from behind at impact (before exploding) and later as it stands on its nose, after the fire is put out. Note the plain steel wheels, painted silver in the latter shot.”

One of the biggest film goofs, and proof that the sound is edited in, is the lack of any delay between the sight of a distant bomb going off and the sound of the explosion. You see this a lot when watching historical war footage. The sound of bombs hitting the ground apparently travels at the speed of light.

I heard that GPS maps contain fictitious roads intentionally added to the maps to make it easier to prove in court that someone violated their map copyrights.

“Many scenes are spliced-together clips from numerous takes. Movie makers hire people specifically to find errors, but it isn’t 100%. I’d bet there’s never been a movie made that didn’t have at least one mistake.”

Although I have seen others over the years, my favorite car-related movie goof is in Hitchcock’s classic North By Northwest–one of my favorite films. Fairly early in the film, Cary Grant gets into a '57 Ford taxi at the Plaza Hotel, and when he arrives at his destination (The UN) a few minutes later, the taxi has morphed into a '58 Ford.

Or, is it the other way around, with a '58 changing into a '57??
I can’t recall exactly which was which, but the taxi definitely changed model years during what was supposed to be a 15 minute taxi ride.

I have the full DVD set containing all of the episodes of the old, acclaimed TV show Naked City. In one of the first-year episodes, an obvious studio shot shows the detectives riding in a '58 Dodge. However, when the scene changes to shots that were done outside, suddenly that '58 Dodge has morphed into an Oldsmobile of…probably…1953 vintage. Talk about cars that looked absolutely nothing like each other!

I take a course in Spanish from the University of Illinois. The material is a soap opera style with 52 segments called “Destinos”.

The star, Raquel (actually Liliana Abud from Mexico) takes off from Madrid in one type of plane and arrives in Buenos Aires in a different make and model.

Well they have in air refueling, why not in air passenger exchange? “When I say jump, jump and don’t look down”.

I’m interested in seeing how passengers are transferred in flight. Has the military tried this? It sounds like something DARPA would do.

A refueling boom with a four foot I.D.?

Maybe. But it seems like there would have to be an elevator associated with it for less physically able passengers. And don’t forget that the tube must be pressurized. How many people would jump into an unpressurized tube? “Take a deep breath and slide fast!” The flight attendant might say. Then the two planes would switch places so that passengers on the other plane could transfer by falling into the first one to do the transfer. Good luck making air passenger transfer work.

Imagine a passenger transfer boom disconnecting.
It’s happened with air to air refueling…

A long ways down assuming some passengers didn’t get sliced by the vertical stabilizer or ingested into the engines of the trailing aircraft and send it down with the passengers who had already transferred.

True… but people might be willing to risk it for more legroom…

There’s a lot of legroom in the boom…